2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Looks like it is coming from Huddersfield through to Holmfirth - down towards the Stocksbridge by pass turning off at Midhope and over tops through Ewden Valley and over to Bradfield. Then down towards Hillsborough and over to Tinsley before heading back to City centre.

Blowing up the route, it looks like it will go along Kirk Edge Road to Worrall, then drop into Oughtibridge and up Oughtibridge Lane to Grenoside. A nice little climb (well. an impossible climb for me, but a nice little climb for them).

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 13:32 ----------

Looking at the route details for stage 2, I'm putting my money on the finish been somewhere around Don Valley Stadium.

It certainly doesn't look like a city center finish.

I agree. Blowing up the route it looks like out on Brightside Lane, to Meadowhall, possibly up to Wincobank and then back onto Attercliffe Common to finish in Don Valley (better not pull it down, yet, then). The big red blob on the map for the finish looks to be centred on Don Valley. I think this is a good idea. Visually, it will look better on the helicopter shots than the city centre, and roads and crowd areas are bigger.

I'm already excited. I can't wait. I just can't decide whether to watch it en route (see, I'm already learning the lingo) or join the crowds at the finish.

Well done Leeds for spearheading this, and to Sheffield for their part.

The NHS could make some good money out of this selling those yellow boxes to the teams for them to put there used needles in.

Along with the footballers, Jockeys, athletes, snooker players,boxers, etc,etc.

None of whom can even imagine just how hard The Tour De France cycle race is.

Riders have been known to die in this event due to exhaustion.

Not an excuse for SOME taking illegal substances but the fact is that ordinary mortals just could not do it!

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 14:12 ----------

Im not sure how much S Yorks actually put into the bid. It was all driven by West and North Yorks so I think we have done well to get the kudos of a stage finish.

Look Leeds mentioned a figure of £100 million income for the region.

Spare a thought for the east side of Yorkshire. They seemed to expect a route out to the coast, and they've got nothing.

Now its decision time, head out watch it on Holme Moss or stay in the city for the finish?

Both. The rush back to Sheffield for the finish will be like Smokey and the Bandit.

---------- Post added 17-01-2013 at 14:15 ----------

Sorry about that fellas :blush:....I merged the threads, not noticing the destination thread was in General. It's back in Sheffield discussions now, and I've modified the title to reflect the purpose of the merged thread.

Ok?

Pete this the biggest event in Sheffield since The World Cup at Hillsbro.

Give it a section all on its own.

Why don't they make the Tour of Britain into a major race instead of importing foreign races?

Agreed. I didnt even know what is the replacement to the Milk race is still going till Shaun a cycling enthusiast told me. Its not promoted enough. We could even return the favour and have a leg of it in Paris. We could even start that leg in England say Nelsons column :hihi:

Why's this now in Sheffield? It covers all of Yorkshire?

Don't you start :) Do you want one in General Discussion, and one in Sheffield discussion? Maybe we should have one in every section, just to keep everyone happy?

EDIT: see posts 118, 119