2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Just to put some figures out there, a friend of a friend on the Isle of Man took £300 000 in a week and a bit in his Bar/restaurant in Douglas. I think around 50 000 people go for the TT for around 2-3 weeks and the place would be bankrupt without the event. Most well aligned businesses can make a full years break even over that week.

The IoM's TT event is or has as you say become quite important if not vital to the islands economy. An inconvenience to many islanders that some would much sooner be without it I'm sure, but some would argue a necessary one. Those that were born and live there I'm sure have some very mixed views about it. Those that move to live there ...well they knew it happens, hard luck.

It is though an established annual event which on the face of it, to a non-resident, appears to be well organised, roads are not closed for much longer than they need to be accommodate the events, most residents appear to be not adversely affected by it, and as you say many businesses could not survive without it.

It is not for local people a one off media circus that is being imposed on people without consultation, never mind consent, like the TDF here, that will cause a great deal of inconvenience and other potentially other problems to many people that have no interest in it who want to go about their normal routines.

The IoM's TT event is or has as you say become quite important if not vital to the islands economy. An inconvenience to many islanders that some would much sooner be without it I'm sure, but some would argue a necessary one. Those that were born and live there I'm sure have some very mixed views about it. Those that move to live there ...well they knew it happens, hard luck.

It is though an established annual event which on the face of it, to a non-resident, appears to be well organised, roads are not closed for much longer than they need to be accommodate the events, most residents appear to be not adversely affected by it, and as you say many businesses could not survive without it.

It is not for local people a one off media circus that is being imposed on people without consultation, never mind consent, like the TDF here, that will cause a great deal of inconvenience and other potentially other problems to many people that have no interest in it who want to go about their normal routines.

Perhaps you should look at the extent of the road closures for the IOM TT: Limited closures every day for 1 week prior to the racing for course preparation and practice, followed by fuller closures for 5 days of racing the following week. That is pretty disruptive for a limited road infrastructure.

If you're sick to the back teeth of people moaning about the Tour, why not join us on Friday night (4th July). A group of us are going out on our bikes to decorate the Sheffield part of the route, to ensure that when 3.5 billion people across the world see Sheffield on TV, they'll see a great place and a warm welcome.

I love Sheffield and I love living here, but to hear some people talk you'd wonder whatever happened to civic pride. Cycling fan or not, the eyes of the world will be on Sheffield and it's our reputation that's at stake!

Meeting 6.30pm Herries road just off Hillsborough roundabout.

Bring scissors! We have A LOT of yellow ribbon, and some banners. Please do make your own banners and decorations to bring if you can.

Facebook event is here - https://www.facebook.com/events/1433404560267282/?source=3&source_newsfeed_story_type=regular

More info here - http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/06/29/cyclesheffield-press-release-next-sheffield-fridaynightride-fri-jul-4-tdf-route-dressin/

Edited by babymonkey
Error

If you're sick to the back teeth of people moaning about the Tour, why not join us on Friday night (4th July). A group of us are going out on our bikes to decorate the Sheffield part of the route, to ensure that when 35 billion people across the world see Sheffield on TV, they'll see a great place and a warm welcome.

I love Sheffield and I love living here, but to hear some people talk you'd wonder whatever happened to civic pride. Cycling fan or not, the eyes of the world will be on Sheffield and it's our reputation that's at stake!

Meeting 6.30pm Herries road just off Hillsborough roundabout.

Bring scissors! We have A LOT of yellow ribbon, and some banners. Please do make your own banners and decorations to bring if you can.

Facebook event is here - https://www.facebook.com/events/1433404560267282/?source=3&source_newsfeed_story_type=regular

More info here - http://www.cyclesheffield.org.uk/2014/06/29/cyclesheffield-press-release-next-sheffield-fridaynightride-fri-jul-4-tdf-route-dressin/

Didnt know the Earth was that crowded...

Been looking at the road closures for the tour Da pothole and the North of the city is basically cut off . Residents are as good as prisoners in their own areas. People will not be able to go about their business all for the sake of some lycra clad , two wheeled warriors who fancy a bit of a bike ride. If they insist on coming here , they should be forced to take their chances with the traffic like the normal push iron brigade do .

Been looking at the road closures for the tour Da pothole and the North of the city is basically cut off . Residents are as good as prisoners in their own areas. People will not be able to go about their business all for the sake of some lycra clad , two wheeled warriors who fancy a bit of a bike ride. If they insist on coming here , they should be forced to take their chances with the traffic like the normal push iron brigade do .

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

My Fiancée works at a fast food restaurant and she has a shift 0600 to 1445 but we live the opposite side of the TDF so from 1445 she won't be able to get home till 1700. She has called work to explain only to be told "it is your responsibility so you must work, fetch a book and wait at work or something"

Can they actually do this? can you be made to work and then wait at work to get home?

My Fiancée works at a fast food restaurant and she has a shift 0600 to 1445 but we live the opposite side of the TDF so from 1445 she won't be able to get home till 1700. She has called work to explain only to be told "it is your responsibility so you must work, fetch a book and wait at work or something"

Can they actually do this? can you be made to work and then wait at work to get home?

I don't think that can make her wait at work, I'm guessing that she'd be free to wait anywhere that she'd be able to get to.

Maybe she could watch the race while she's waiting?