2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

There is LOADS going on, in the City there will be a 'festival' atmosphere with a big screen at the Peace Gardens (starting tomorrow, showing Wimbledon, then stages 1-3), a French themed market at Fargate, live music organised by Tramlines and so on.

At the Don Valley Grass Bowl (near the finish) there is the official spectator hub with a 100 sqm screen and all sorts of different events.

More hubs at Meadowhall, Wincobank, Oughtibridge, High Bradfield and I am probably forgetting some. We will be heading off to High Bradfield where there is a beer festival (organised by Bradfield Brewery), doc/fest events and so on (and a shuttle from Middlewood tramstop).

The site LeMaquis provided has lots of information.

I have attended a Giro 'grand depart' in Groningen with that mindset, at the end of the day I realised I had taken part in one of the most awesome events I could ever have taken part in and I seriously would have regretted not going to see it.

It isn't just about the cyclists coming past, it is a complete circus. People who think like you and therefore won't bother taking the chance to experience this in their own city are missing out, having said that, do stay away, I don't fancy huge crowds :)

Hope you're joking.................

....are nowhere near the event.

I take it the only events you watch on telly take place within your postcode.

---------- Post added 02-07-2014 at 10:45 ----------

Hope you're joking.................

There will be tens of thousands of happy people there. The miserable buggers will be on here moaning about parking tickets, roads being closed, others enjoying life, etc.

But it isn't a very good show piece for the city and I'm sure there are many who won't be too keen to park their cars around the top of Jenkin Hill. Some of the glitz of the tour can be lost if you return to find the mirrors missing off you car.
aye, everyone at Wincobank is either a thief or vandal.

It's actually a very good view from up there looking over all the east end of Sheffield. It may not be green dales and valleys, but it's very interesting all the same with a good panorama

But it isn't a very good show piece for the city.......

How would you know that? It'll bring tens of thousands into the city, give people a day out to see one of the world's greatest sporting events and hundreds of millions will see it broadcast around the world. It will also be a showpiece for the moaners, a chance to show that Sheffielders can whinge with the best of them.

How would you know that? It'll bring tens of thousands into the city, give people a day out to see one of the world's greatest sporting events and hundreds of millions will see it broadcast around the world. It will also be a showpiece for the moaners, a chance to show that Sheffielders can whinge with the best of them.

Sounds rather high, are you guessing or has previous years drawn such a number?