2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Nor do they involve the 600,000 people and their vehicles expected to descend on the city.

Just as a matter of interest where did you get this figure from? Link please. Just curious.

Would you prefer that these tourists didnt come and spend money in the local economy?

I wouldnt overly worry about it - his only gripe is that he wont be able to quickly get to his place of work that he actually isn't working at that day :huh::huh:

'Flounces back'.

I know that it will be difficult for you to understand this but I actually care about other people - an alien concept for you.

I care that patients who have to attend the hospital for treatment every day will have great difficulty getting into and out of the hospital causing them stress they don't need ( I have had several conversations with patients and their families over the last few days on those lines).

I care that colleagues are being forced to work 12 hour shift because access to the hospital is difficult.

I care that visitors will find it difficult to access the hospital.

Just accept that there are those who have far more pressing issues in their lives than the TDF and aren't looking forward to the stress it will cause them.

They will still be fighting their illnesses when the TDF is a long and distant memory.

Regards.

Edited by Daven

This thread is about the TdF coming to Sheffield. A load of miserable buggers have come on it to moan, moan and keep moaning. Everyone knows that not everything is to everyone's taste but not everyone goes on every thread about things they don't like in order to moan about them. The anti-cyclists though just can't keep out of it.

I remember a few years ago I was stopped trying to get onto the roundabout at the top of Brookhill because a load of motorbikes were travelling up Hannover Way.

At the time I had a good moan to Mrs Doom about us being held up due to motorcyclists out on a jolly.

I later found out it was something called The Easter Egg Run and it was an annual event at Easter to raise money for the Sheffield Children's Hospital....How stupid did I feel?

The following year myself and the Mrs got up early, parked near the Children's Hospital and went along to enjoy the event....and we certainly did.

Sometimes, instead of moaning, you're better off trying to embrace an event....You never know, you might just enjoy it!! :)

Regards

Doom

Just as a matter of interest where did you get this figure from? Link please. Just curious.

Would you prefer that these tourists didnt come and spend money in the local economy?

Email at work itemising the alerts in place for the hospital - major incident etc.

'Roads surrounding the NGH will be closed to ALL vehicles except emergency 'blue light' vehicles for most of the day from 7.30hrs. Visitors are being advised that attending will be extremely difficult unless travelling by foot.

---------- Post added 04-07-2014 at 13:07 ----------

So you didn't actually want to make any point with those facts then?

I already have on several occasions.

I'm unhappy about there being very little access to the NGH and the impact it will have on patients and their families - nothing else.

Edited by Daven

'Roads surrounding the NGH will be closed to ALL vehicles except emergency 'blue light' vehicles for most of the day from 7.30hrs. .

It seems a little odd to close all the access to the biggest hospital in the county.

http://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/content/images/fromassets/100_3136_110614101921.pdf

I cant see a single road "surrounding the NGH" which will be closed.

The nearest the closure gets to the hospital is the roundabout at the end of Shirecliffe. Care to elaborate?

Just looking at the map, and there's no reason the hospital couldn't be accessed from the north.

And in fact according to the road closures map it will be accessible this way. Barnsley Rd is apparently open...

If you're coming from the SW it will be a pain, but going around to the East isn't that far...

Email at work itemising the alerts in place for the hospital - major incident etc.

'Roads surrounding the NGH will be closed to ALL vehicles except emergency 'blue light' vehicles for most of the day from 7.30hrs. Visitors are being advised that attending will be extremely difficult unless travelling by foot.

That's not quite the full picture though is it.

Blue light services will operate as normal, including being able to cross the route at special crossing areas.

It will be a Sunday so what outpatients happen on a Sunday?

Patients visiting relatives have the opportunity of extended visiting hours on Saturday.

The hospital will still be open as normal on Sunday, except the route as shown on the Map means that people traveling by car and from the south of the road closures will need to use the M1 to loop round and get to the NGH via Chapeltown.

You will see the rout doesnt surround the NGH so all surrounding roads will not be closed, just the ones on the map.

http://www.sheffieldccg.nhs.uk/Your-Health/tour-de-yorkshire.htm

Havent seen any mention of 600,000 people anywhere.

From the NHS Website

The Yorkshire Grand Départ (our part of the Tour de France) will be coming to Sheffield on Sunday 6th July 2014.

The same level of service as is usually provided on a Sunday will be provided as normal by all health services in the city.

However patients should be aware that there will be significant road closures in the city that day and so if you need to reach an NHS service we strongly recommend that you plan your route. Sheffield City Council's website includes maps of the road closures here.

Please see below our map that shows key health services in relation to the road closures. Please note the M1 will still be a viable route to connect those south of the route (via J33 Sheffield parkway) with those North of the route (via J35 Chapeltown/ Ecclesfield).

Visitors of patients in the Northern General Hospital are being advised that the route passes very close to the hospital and therefore access will be difficult. Please make sure you have planned your route if you are still planning a visit on this day, or consider whether it would be better to visit another day.

Visiting times at both the Northern General and the Royal Hallamshire Hospital will be extended to 11am-8pm on Saturday 5th July to help accommodate relatives who will struggle to get in on the Sunday.