2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

It may stop some locals but the die-hard TdF fans from around the country will be there still.

It will just be nicer for everyone and tbh, the rain ironically looks most likely about the time the race proper gets into Sheffield. It will be nice if people really do turn out and take advantage of the opportunity.

You could compare viewing figures that's true. It's not the only measure though...what would be the conclusion from comparing the live attendance between events, or the number of regular partcipants in each sport.

Well the live attendance at a Grand Prix requires the spectator to travel to Silverstone and fork out cash to attend. The numbers being recorded on the turnstiles

The figures for the TDF are a bit false. If the tour on one of the many stages happens to pass by a school when the kids are out in the playground the attendance figures get booster by a few hundred. There again if you happen to watch in Leeds and then pop into Harrogate and York you will be counted 3 times. So over the course of the event there will be many folk who count as 20 or 30 spectators.

I see one of the riders has already been pulled from the tour due to a positive drugs test.

Currently BBC weather are predicting Heavy rain from 3pm onwards for Sunday in S9, so don't forget your brollies :(

It's a little unfortunate that it clashes with two of the biggest annual British sporting events - the F1 at Silverstone and the men's final at Wimbledon... as far as the coverage it will get nationally.

Really, it doesn't matter what the weather does or how much you dress up the route because whoever chose it is a rank idiot or collection thereof. After watching the Radio Sheffield video of the route I couldn't believe the latter part and the image it will portray of Sheffield. Just as well that the coverage is up against F1 and the tennis but after the backdrop of beautiful Yorkshire to make us all proud we'll be into Hillsborough, Burngreave (God almighty!), Wincobank (why, why, why?) and (of course) Meadowhell. It's an absolute joke. After the negative bashing that Sheffield has had recently on T.V. with those fly on the wall documentaries about Page Hall and the feckless dole scrubbers we could do with painting a better picture than this. I live in North Sheffield and I cycle a lot so I'm not one of the people bashing the event, I just can't believe they've come up with this ridiculous route.

You do realise that Northern Rail is co-owned by Abellio, the international arm of the Dutch national rail operator

Well then they must realize there is a 30 year age gap in their rolling stock, just painting one yellow will not turn it into a high tech dutch train.

Also don't forget this tour comes and goes very quick. It travels faster from Bradfield to meadowhall than I used to drive on that route with traffic lights.

Sheffield council should have put a big umbrella over Sheffield many people are not coming now if it is still realistic tomorrow that we get heavy showers, I will, I go for a walk in rain or sun any day.

Tour the france and football are the most sex discriminating sports, male dominated yet they get more support than any other sports where women are free to participate.

I think men are scared, frightened that one day they could be beaten by woman who are faster and better at it like beryl burton who kept the record for several years.

Really, it doesn't matter what the weather does or how much you dress up the route because whoever chose it is a rank idiot or collection thereof. After watching the Radio Sheffield video of the route I couldn't believe the latter part and the image it will portray of Sheffield. Just as well that the coverage is up against F1 and the tennis but after the backdrop of beautiful Yorkshire to make us all proud we'll be into Hillsborough, Burngreave (God almighty!), Wincobank (why, why, why?) and (of course) Meadowhell. It's an absolute joke. After the negative bashing that Sheffield has had recently on T.V. with those fly on the wall documentaries about Page Hall and the feckless dole scrubbers we could do with painting a better picture than this. I live in North Sheffield and I cycle a lot so I'm not one of the people bashing the event, I just can't believe they've come up with this ridiculous route.

Reminds me of my long gone mother in law, her first trip on the "new" trams was to Halfway and her second to Meadowhell. Her comment on the new trams was, why did they not find a more scenic route to get get to Meadowhall?

They're all out on their bikes today.

Just been for my Saturday morning run and there were loads of bikes travelling down Finkle Street towards Wortley Top Forge.......Are they off to West Yorkshire to watch Stage 1 or just having a ride around?

Regards

Doom

God, imagine the whinging and moaning if the tour actually came into our city centre and ended somewhere near the Town Hall. The moaning is bad enough as it is.

I agree with you. Of all the routes it could have taken it chose one of the dullest, dingiest, uninspiring ones possible.

God, imagine the whinging and moaning if the tour actually came into our city centre and ended somewhere near the Town Hall. The moaning is bad enough as it is.

I agree with you. Of all the routes it could have taken it chose one of the dullest, dingiest, uninspiring ones possible.

Aren't you whinging and moaning?

....I couldn't believe the latter part and the image it will portray of Sheffield. Just as well that the coverage is up against F1 and the tennis but after the backdrop of beautiful Yorkshire to make us all proud we'll be into Hillsborough, Burngreave (God almighty!), Wincobank (why, why, why?) and (of course) Meadowhell. It's an absolute joke. After the negative bashing that Sheffield......

So after the recent negative bashing of Sheffield you thought you'd add to it with a bit more. It may not have occurred to you that the route was picked for a cycle race not for its appeal to tourists.

---------- Post added 05-07-2014 at 10:18 ----------

Currently BBC weather are predicting Heavy rain from 3pm onwards for Sunday in S9, so don't forget your brollies

The current forecast for tomorrow says a mixture of light and heavy showers for Sheffield from 3pm.