2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

aye, but that's a mainly flat race, so bikes are heavier and beefed up with big tyres to cope with that. Its a bit like putting a F1 car onto a WRC stage and telling Vettel to "man up". Having said that if the road surface is bumpy over a stretch, riders can and will cope with it, like the stage in northern france where they cover a couple of miles and Contador lost time a few years ago cos he wasn't paying attention. The problem is when its a smooth(ish) road and suddenly there is an unexpected crater.

Kind of...though the analogy doesn't necessarily hold, as the riders on the Tour don't necessarily have to ride a particular kind of bike, whereas in motor racing there are specific requirements on the machines.

I jest when I say they should 'man up'. But there may have to be compromises on both the council's and the riders' sides, some of which may not be happily resolved!

LeMaquis - modern bikes are designed to be ridden under superhuman stresses, I wouldn't worry about a few cobbles.

Some may be interested in the following article about potholes and cycling from the Guardian today: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/28/how-to-deal-with-potholes

Maybe we should get reporting those potholes now, so they're logged before the route gets even more publicity?

Edited by alas_alas

He didn't say it was the main highlight, just one of the world's greatest sporting events, which it is. As a main highlight though it must beat losing one's deposit at a general election.

Not so! I'd much rather participate in democracy than sneer at it.

(But, in the present context, I'd much rather get the thread back on topic; wouldn't you?)

Missed this thread. Really can't wait for this. Think I'll cycle up to York for day 1. Can't decide whether to head to Holmfirth for day 2 or join the crowds here to watch the finish. If I'm going to stand half way along the course somewhere its definitely going to be on a hill. Otherwise the entire peloton is just going to wiz past you in 5 seconds.

Perhaps all Drug takers should be banned from whatever sport or entertainment they are involved in.

I wonder if the others criticising cycling coming to Yorkshire due to drugs would have the same opinion about us hosting teams like Spain coming to play the next football world cup here.

Unfortunately the Spanish politicians have ruled that we should never find out that their team Won the last world cup using drugs.

• 1 month later...
Looks like Yorkshire will be getting some cash to help with the running of the race.

What a complete farce - Minister for Sport Hugh Robertson should be ashamed of himself for his actions and statement here, and derided for yet another government u-turn.

It's like playground logic: reject the funding because it's not weighted towards the southern counties, when the whole point is that the bid originated in the lobbying of Welcome to Yorkshire. This quote just shows the government up as the clowns they are: "It is with regret, that you do not appear to have in place any arrangements to deliver the event outside Yorkshire.

"There appears to be nothing in the business plan about the Cambridge to London leg of the event."

Petty, petty, petty. And completely economically and socially illiterate.

Having said that, I'm glad they're getting extra help with funding. Even the layperson can see how this will enhance the economic benefits for Yorkshire as a whole, and the enjoyment of everyone involved.

I don't understand the article. Does it mean that Yorkshire had to organise the entire UK leg?

He said in the letter: "It is with regret, that you do not appear to have in place any arrangements to deliver the event outside Yorkshire.

"There appears to be nothing in the business plan about the Cambridge to London leg of the event."

Not so! I'd much rather participate in democracy than sneer at it.

(But, in the present context, I'd much rather get the thread back on topic; wouldn't you?)

If you can allow me this little extravagance, which I believe is fair seeing that you were all too fast to belittle another poster earlier. I think he was sneering at you rather than democracy itself.

I don't understand the article. Does it mean that Yorkshire had to organise the entire UK leg?

No, the organising committee for the UK grand depart setting off from Yorkshire includes bodies such as Le Tour, Welcome to Yorkshire, Leeds County Council, and other partners. The minister clearly thought there was too much of a Yorkshire bias to the funding application, completely neglecting the significance of staging the grand depart from Yorkshire under the organisation of the above-mentioned bodies based in Yorkshire. Truly farcical.

Looks like Yorkshire will be getting some cash to help with the running of the race.

On Look Leeds last night, when pushed, Julian Smith admitted that Yorkshire not will, but may, get the cash as the Government had agreed to revisit the business plan and discuss possible amendments.

On the other hand, that sounds like a bit of a face-saver for a U-turn.

Missed this thread. Really can't wait for this. Think I'll cycle up to York for day 1. Can't decide whether to head to Holmfirth for day 2 or join the crowds here to watch the finish. If I'm going to stand half way along the course somewhere its definitely going to be on a hill. Otherwise the entire peloton is just going to wiz past you in 5 seconds.

I wonder if the others criticising cycling coming to Yorkshire due to drugs would have the same opinion about us hosting teams like Spain coming to play the next football world cup here.

Unfortunately the Spanish politicians have ruled that we should never find out that their team Won the last world cup using drugs.

I wonder if Wednesday can get hold of a few of those sweeties before the Barnsley match.