2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

"....... and there will be special viewing area's" - Sheff C.C.

Does anyone know if these will be free?

With reserved places?

Where are they?

I understand Box Hill was closed for ages before the Olympics.

The key to watching the TdF is all about getting the best position possible. There will be thousands and thousands of people lining the best spots, so it will need an amount of dedication to set off early and expect to have to walk or cycle to your desired spot because the roads will be closed early.

It seems obvious, but watching the TdF on stretches of flat or downhill road is disappointing because they'll be travelling very quickly and will have gone past you before you know it. For that reason, the vast majority of the crowds will be on the steepest uphill stretches of the route. Even then, the riders go past you pretty swiftly!

Don't get put off, though - the carnival of the TdF is really enjoyable. The sponsors cars and floats come ahead of the race, as do loads and loads of amateur cyclists emulating the professional racers. It's generally a jovial day out with the rest of the spectators. :)

Thanks 'No User'.

Box Hill - ....but did you have to pay to be there?

What 'safety reasons' became a reasons because of the Tour?

Will Jenkin Road be closed for safety reasons?

Seeing The Tour on the road is a very different experience than on the TV.

We've seen a prologue (London), a time trial(Besancon) and flat stages (Hampshire). 2014 promises the a hill top Sheffield) and team time trial (Ypers).

I'm reallty hoping that all goes well.

I think anyone wanting to go watch the race but still wanting to stay within Sheffield, the 2 places to go that stand out are Jawbone Hill & Jenkin Road.

Both climbs will be crowded especially Jenkin Road which I think will be packed to the rafters.

I think the actual route is announced this week.

Seeing The Tour in more than one place will be possible. Flouch and Herries Road and the finish is a possibility.

I did twice in Hampshire and my brother did it three times in London, twice, and then a train into Kent for a third time on the same day.

Edited by Flanker7
clarification

Hagg Hill and Stephen Hill have already been resurfaced. How about a little hill climb section there.

Its hard enough to drive up Hagg Hill let alone cycle up there .:hihi:

---------- Post added 12-10-2013 at 12:55 ----------

It looks like they've already started... which is a bit silly since the winter will stick big holes in them again.

Correct . once the heavy frosts get hold of them over the next few months there will be cracks galore and potholes everywhere again.

Edited by Penistone999

The York to Sheffield stage of the race will come into Sheffield through Bradfield, across to Oughtibridge and Grenoside, then down to Kelham Island.

Cyclists will then head back out before a final stage up the challenging Jenkin Hill, at Wincobank, then loop back to the arena.

So now we know which areas will be bumped to the top of the list to have shiny new pothole free roads before the two wheeled warriers arrive in sheffield.

You do know that all the roads in Sheffield are being resurfaced?

You do know that all the roads in Sheffield are being resurfaced?

Yes ,but over the next few years , but you can bet the ones involved in the two wheeled warrior`s race will be done before the race because the council wont want the watching TV audience seeing the disgusting state of sheffield`s roads.