2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Herries Rd is the first choice for the race to head to Wincobank but there are issues with emergency ambulances getting access to the Northern General however I feel that like rail junctions sometimes the race is halted when the barrier goes down because there unpredictable the same rule could apply to let an ambulance through for the short time the actuall race will be passing the Hospital.

Herries Rd is the first choice for the race to head to Wincobank but there are issues with emergency ambulances getting access to the Northern General however I feel that like rail junctions sometimes the race is halted when the barrier goes down because there unpredictable the same rule could apply to let an ambulance through for the short time the actuall race will be passing the Hospital.

Within two miles of the finish no way!

The riders would have strike !I mean they have worked all day to get their team leader into a sprint position and just as they get to Herries Road plod jumps out and says "hang on a minute lads an ambulance is coming".

They will have to go straight down Penistone Road instead then up Rutland [if they must miss the Town Centre that is] and then on to Attercliffe.

Within two miles of the finish no way!

The riders would have strike !I mean they have worked all day to get their team leader into a sprint position and just as they get to Herries Road plod jumps out and says "hang on a minute lads an ambulance is coming".

They will have to go straight down Penistone Road instead then up Rutland [if they must miss the Town Centre that is] and then on to Attercliffe.

Good point it is close to the finish but there is the Barnsley Rd enterence which I think is commonly used by ambualnces anyway but if the ambulances are coming from the south or East there going to have to cross Herries at some point anyway.

You could say that Hanover way would be closed if the race went to Kelham which serves the Childrens, Hallamshire and Jessops would ambulances be expected to take the long route.

Worst cinrio if the race was halted at the gates of the NGH it would be very brief so it gets safely across the road then within a few seconds it would be up and running again which the worse riders are going to loose is a few seconds.

Now that could cost someone the win but if I was in an ambulance clinging on to life I wouldn't choose to prolong my journey not even for the biggest road race in world.

The route is massive and I'm sure Sheffield isn't alone with this problem somethings got to give somewhere

Edited by Cycleracer

Council workers are losing jobs, libraries are closing, public toilets are closed and the council are spending a million pounds on a bike ride, IF it actually puts money in the pockets of the ordinary people of Sheffield, fair enough but it wont.

Council workers are losing jobs, libraries are closing, public toilets are closed and the council are spending a million pounds on a bike ride, IF it actually puts money in the pockets of the ordinary people of Sheffield, fair enough but it wont.

It will.

Pubs,taxi's, hotels,stewards,ice cream men and women, cafe's,garages,shops,and the thousands who work in these and other industries .

Plus World wide exposure and prestige for Sheffield that only the Tour De France can supply.

Please don,t mention Wimbledon or International Football as only London gets them.

Well I've already got 6 people staying over camping on the lawn. 1 mob coming-over from Manchester, the rest coming up from Nottingham. Making a weekend out of it so probably a curry out on the Friday night, pub lunch in a local boozer on the Sunday if we can get in, then a party in between. Some time on the Saturday we have got to fit in a ride over Holme Moss as well. Its not just about the bike race.

That's all money coming into the city assuming you think the landlord of our local is an ordinary Sheffield person? I've already heard about people renting out camping space in gardens up on Grenoside . Last I heard the Holiday Inn weren't even taking bookings, just putting names on a waiting list. Some folk still haven't twigged what a huge event is coming our way.

It will.

Pubs,taxi's, hotels,stewards,ice cream men and women, cafe's,garages,shops,and the thousands who work in these and other industries .

Plus World wide exposure and prestige for Sheffield that only the Tour De France can supply.

Please don,t mention Wimbledon or International Football as only London gets them.

It doesn't put any extra money the workers pockets or mine, prestige for Sheffield "Wheres the toilets sir?, oh we closed them all" it will only benefit the people who already have money, not the ordinary man in the street.