2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Really...? In you're opinion maybe but i've never heard it been called the greatest show on earth.

The Tour de France is dubbed the Greatest Show on Earth and that is what Cuttsie was getting at.

Whether you believe it be the greatest show or not, that's entirely subjective.

Edited by Agent Orange

The Tour de France is dubbed the Greatest Show on Earth and that is what Cuttsie was getting at.

I never thought I would see the day when me and thee agreed on owt but the Tour brings every one together as is demonstrated every year throughout Europe.

Only in Sheffield can you get folk who think that it is a waste of time.

I mean what other WORLD sporting event will ever be held here again.

I never thought I would see the day when me and thee agreed on owt but the Tour brings every one together as is demonstrated every year throughout Europe.

Yes, we differed a lot when it came to the markets, but that's by the by. Nothing personal at the end of the day :) However, as I fellow cyclist and the fact your previous comment was correct, I thought it would only be fair to defend you.

Agree with your other comments too (shock horror ;)) with regards to the TdF. It will be just the kick up the backside this city needs :)

Is that so? The event is free to watch so how are the rich exploiting and/or making money out of us?

Who is paying for the roads to be resurfaced, for the extra policing required,for the roads to be shut and traffic diverted amongst many other things that will need to be paid for? Ill give you a clue - its taken out of your wage every month

For me it will all be about being part of an event and an excuse for a day out with many other like minded individuals.

I realise I'll probably not see very much as they come stonking down Skew Hill, but I'm going to enjoy the whole experience of the day with a few pints in the Cow and Calf.

I would also guess most pubs on the route will be putting on entertainment for the day, I just hope the weather stays fine.

Regards

Doom

Ah I see, it's dubbed that to make it sound better than it actually is to an outsider.

Who is paying for the roads to be resurfaced, for the extra policing required,for the roads to be shut and traffic diverted amongst many other things that will need to be paid for? Ill give you a clue - its taken out of your wage every month

TdF or not, the roads were scheduled to be resurfaced anyway. And why would you complain of having nice pot-hole free roads in the first place.

So, who is being exploited and who is getting rich from this?

---------- Post added 28-10-2013 at 13:03 ----------

Ah I see, it's dubbed that to make it sound better than it actually is to an outsider.

It's dubbed that, because that's what it's referred as. They don't need to make it sound better, the sport sells itself and is widely watched and supported.

Agreed. Only in Sheffield would some moan about the city hosting part of one of the world biggest sporting events with worldwide tv viewing figures in the 100 of millions.

I have no doubt the same people would have moaned had the event bypassed Sheffield and finished in Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster or Chesterfield.