2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Can all you people who see the TdF coming to Sheffield as a negative, it's coming end of, roads will be closed for a bit, unlike all day for footy matches. So if ya don't want owt to do with it, either stay in bed, go to the coast, or maybe you could even go to a pub and watch it fly by and take in the ambiance of the day....

Also people are saying scc have put a million quid of tax payer's money in to this, could some one show me a link to this instead of just guessing at a No. what ever it is, as a council tax payer, they have my blessing to do this, as loads have said the return will be worth a lot more to Sheffield in the long run.!

jt

Can all you people who see the TdF coming to Sheffield as a negative, it's coming end of, roads will be closed for a bit, unlike all day for footy matches. So if ya don't want owt to do with it, either stay in bed, go to the coast, or maybe you could even go to a pub and watch it fly by and take in the ambiance of the day....

Also people are saying scc have put a million quid of tax payer's money in to this, could some one show me a link to this instead of just guessing at a No. what ever it is, as a council tax payer, they have my blessing to do this, as loads have said the return will be worth a lot more to Sheffield in the long run.!

jt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-24450642

jt

where do the roads close all day for footy matches?

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 23:20 ----------

Gosh, get me out of this city. Such negativity.

So what, it doesn't finish in the city centre - boohoo. The fact it finishes in Sheffield is a positive and will be a positive to the economy. The city, if you had not noticed, does not stop at the city centre. People will be spending money in the immediate area, stopping at hotels within the city centre and making use of other facilities.

I've no problem with it being in or around Sheffield - one Sunday is hardly going to make a difference, the Olympic Torch relay went off pretty well after all.

It's quite sad how overly defensive some people are of this event though, and any comment that doesn't say the tdf is the best sports event ever, or may have preferred a different route, are shot down as negativity... each to their own!

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 23:24 ----------

For all sorts of logistical reasons, the city centre is nowhere near large enough to stage the end of a TdF stage. There isn't anywhere near enough room for all the team buses for a start. The first stage of last year's race in Corsica was nearly a disaster when a team coach got stuck under the finish line gantry! I'm quite glad that it's not finishing outside the Town Hall for that reason alone.

When it comes to the end of a TdF sprint stage their speeds go up from 30mph to around 50mph, so you just can't have the possibility of a large group sprinting along Pinstone Street. It's just not wide enough. At, say, 40mph you really wouldn't be able to appreciate the city centre's beautiful architecture anyway - better to leave people to realise that it's only a very short cycle ride indeed from Sheffield to Bradfield and the magnificent hills. If Sheffield is to really benefit from the TdF it has to make people realise that it's one third in the Peak District and not just steelworks. We all know it's an "outdoors" kind of city, but few outsiders do.

It's a real shame that the race isn't going to do a loop from Leppings Lane back up the Rivelin Valley, Lodge Moor, Fulwood, Ringinglow, Ecclesall Road and the city centre before heading to the finish at Meadowhall. That would be just about the best advert for Sheffield but would also cause traffic chaos in the city even if it is on a Sunday. They can't block off that much of the city's roads for several hours, nor can they go anywhere near the hospitals, either.

Leeds undoubtedly gets the best of the event in terms of getting a mention and having all the formalities before the race even begins, but in all honesty the start of each day's race is a bit of a non event as nobody is really racing at that point. I doubt that many people watch the start of a 5 hour stage,, even if it is televised! The finishes are FAR, FAR more exciting and noteworthy. In the long term, the scenery and the hills will be the real winners. The HD aerial shots on the outskirts of Sheffield will be absolutely stunning.

The beauty of the TdF for Sheffield is that we have 8 months before it even gets here. The marketing opportunity is here now, not just on the day itself. North Yorkshire have really got into gear aready, and South Yorkshire needs to take note.

Did you read Jimmy White's quotes from yesterday? He seems quite certain it'll be off to China sooner or later. He's only the lastest in a long line of pro snooker players being quite negative about Sheffield. I'm pretty sure that the Chinese have enough money to build a snooker arena a little larger than The Crucible, more viewers and possibly even more players. Sadly it's probably only a matter of time. I think the best we can hope for in the long term is for a rotation of venues for the World Champs, rather like the Open Golf.

Jimmy White did make those comments, and it appears there is more love for snooker in China and the Far East than the rest of the world (I think he said they have 5 or 6 of the 11 ranking tournaments?). However, Barry Hearn (the man currently in charge), also added that while he is in control, and in his lifetime, the World Championship would not leave Sheffield - as long as BBC coverage and sponsorship was still there.

As for the limitations on the tdf entering the city centre, they're all good points - and knowing the council, they probably could've done something to match that fiasco in Corsica - probably getting Amey to set up some roadworks on the final lap :hihi:

Edited by sheff71

Cheers for that, and like i said before as a council tax payer they have my blessing to use it to promote Sheffield. The TdF coming to Sheffield will benefit Sheffield and the surrounding area for many years to come.!

jt

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 23:55 ----------

You obviously don't come into town before or after a footy match do you.!

jt

Cheers for that, and like i said before as a council tax payer they have my blessing to use it to promote Sheffield. The TdF coming to Sheffield will benefit Sheffield and the surrounding area for many years to come.!

jt

---------- Post added 30-10-2013 at 23:55 ----------

You obviously don't come into town before or after a footy match do you.!

jt

Err yes, and am usually at Bramall Lane - cars are driving up and around Shoreham Street at 5pm on a Saturday matchday, so hardly 'all day'! Clearly you're just trying to sensationalise... Bramall Lane itself closes for some time because of visiting supporters on that side of the ground(maybe you'd prefer there were no police there at all...?), but again, it's not 'all day'.

I've no problem with it being in or around Sheffield - one Sunday is hardly going to make a difference, the Olympic Torch relay went off pretty well after all.

It's quite sad how overly defensive some people are of this event though, and any comment that doesn't say the tdf is the best sports event ever, or may have preferred a different route, are shot down as negativity... each to their own!

It's not about being overly defensive, it's called debate :)

[Now "Snickers".]

But- back on topic- are the promised benefits of TdF going to come, and will they sufficiently cover the costs?

Why wouldn't they come?

The stage ends in Sheffield and lots of people will want to be at the finish line/near the finish line to see the action. All those people will need hotels, food, drink other services... they might even do a spot of shopping whilst they are at it. And let's not forget the race officials, support staff, teams and cyclists. That's a lot of people to accommodate and look after... it means more coffers in the pocket of Sheffield.

And that is just the short term positives on the economy of the city. The fact that the city and region will be broadcasted to billions of people across the globe will give us the huge advert we need. How much more can be earned on the back of this race... the possibilities are endless.

Sheffield will do well from this, easily.

Why wouldn't they come?

The stage ends in Sheffield and lots of people will want to be at the finish line/near the finish line to see the action. All those people will need hotels, food, drink other services... they might even do a spot of shopping whilst they are at it. And let's not forget the race officials, support staff, teams and cyclists. That's a lot of people to accommodate and look after... it means more coffers in the pocket of Sheffield.

And that is just the short term positives on the economy of the city. The fact that the city and region will be broadcasted to billions of people across the globe will give us the huge advert we need. How much more can be earned on the back of this race... the possibilities are endless.

Sheffield will do well from this, easily.

I daught very much that you will be able to convert the unconvertable mate, thing is, it's coming, end off, i and millions yes i said millions of other's welcome it

jt

It doesn't put any extra money the workers pockets or mine, prestige for Sheffield "Wheres the toilets sir?, oh we closed them all" it will only benefit the people who already have money, not the ordinary man in the street.

I agree me and you and thousands of others won't gain financially out of this race toilets won't re-open or librarys.

There not even going into the City Centre because its a dump which is why its finishing at the Arena.

But this race is spetacular and instead of dreaming that the City will encourage touris'm or bring in the money which ain't gonna happen just enjoy this race it is fantastic to watch.