2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Did you know that Yorkshire is actually part of the practice route, which they call the "Grand Route" for Tour De France ?

http://letour.yorkshire.com/

The route is split into several section, and then there is an end route from Cambridge to London also. This is the first time ever that it is going over one of the British peaks. So I think it is pretty exciting in a way.

I know that Yorkshire tourism is really kind of pushing this along, but I am surprised that it seems to be SO low key here. My brother in law is really excited that it is so close to home.

For those who doesn't know, Tour de France is almost as high profile as the Olympic now, but for cyclist, and it is almost akin to the F1 for bikes. It brings in a lot of revenues and tourisms per event. I was so surprised that Yorkshire managed to secure this.

There was also a lot of push for artists and events to be considered and grants to be given out. But I think that the application date has gone past now. They are now maybe still considering to take in volunteers for these tour packages.

http://letour.yorkshire.com/stage-2

The route will go past Bradfield, Oughtibridge, onto Hillsborough, and then onto the city centre.

Exciting isn't it ? :love:

Doesn't the website suggest it will avoid the City Centre and finish at the Arena showing off areas of Sheffield such as Spittal Hill and the Lower Don Valley?

Seems a slightly perverse route to me.

Whereas the next day when it finishes on the Mall makes the spectacle of the event it should be.

Thanks Mod. I just realised that there is one already.

---------- Post added 06-01-2014 at 19:01 ----------

Is there going to be some kind of crafts fair, or some kind of entertainment around the city centre at that time? Will we have that big scream again in the Crucible or the Peace Garden area, that is what I like to know, SCC.... :D

It would be nice to see some nice footage even in the city centre without queuing and chasing the cyclists on the hill. Cos apparently people go crazy on that.

Did you know that Yorkshire is actually part of the practice route, which they call the "Grand Route" for Tour De France ?

Exciting isn't it ? :love:

I'd hardly class it as 'exciting', but well worth a laugh!

This is the latest designer lycra push bike wear ... apparently it makes you pedal a bit faster. I'm not surprised ... I'd cycle as fast as hell to get away from passers by if I was wearing that ridiculous outfit, how embarassing! I bet it was designed by Bradley on the back of a serviette just before making a speech at a charity dinner. :hihi:

[/color]Is there going to be some kind of crafts fair, or some kind of entertainment around the city centre at that time? Will we have that big scream again in the Crucible or the Peace Garden area, that is what I like to know, SCC.... :D

It would be nice to see some nice footage even in the city centre without queuing and chasing the cyclists on the hill. Cos apparently people go crazy on that.

I hope there will be, given we have it for the Snooker, I would expect it for the Tour de France.

This looks quite good but I bet it will be very, very busy!

http://www.tourdefrancesheffield.com/

Doesn't the website suggest it will avoid the City Centre and finish at the Arena showing off areas of Sheffield such as Spittal Hill and the Lower Don Valley?

Whereas the next day when it finishes on the Mall makes the spectacle of the event it should be.

Actually if you think about it, why would it end up in the city centre any way as it cannot cater for that kind of people and bikes. It does need to end up in a stadium or a large park or greenary.

I was reading about the Tour de France, and apparently, it does bring in a lot of businesses too.

Hey, look at this. Anyone wants to start a business to cater for around that time too.

http://news.sky.com/story/1189274/tour-de-france-lending-boost-for-yorkshire

I wonder if they will drink Buxton water than Evian. :hihi:

Come on Thorntons, I wanna see some beautiful chocolates too. :hihi:

I wonder how creative the businesses will be and how they embrace this opportunity.

There isn't anywhere suitable in the city centre for le Tour to finish the stage.

I'd hardly class it as 'exciting', but well worth a laugh!

This is the latest designer lycra push bike wear ... apparently it makes you pedal a bit faster. I'm not surprised ... I'd cycle as fast as hell to get away from passers by if I was wearing that ridiculous outfit, how embarassing! I bet it was designed by Bradley on the back of a serviette just before making a speech at a charity dinner. :hihi:

Oh come ON.... It beats a "student games" any day... :gag:

It is a top 10 global sporting event. Mega !

http://listdose.com/top-10-worlds-biggest-sporting-events/

:cool:

Well done to whoever secured this for Britain. Pat on back to you. :hihi:

Wasn't there some kind of development on clothing technology from the Sheffield Uni at some point? Now is their chance to sponsor this and actually get someone to wear it to test it out and make it a publicity thing, and champion the technology.

I secretly emailed the British clothing company Howie and asked them if they will design a nice tee for this event. :hihi: Not heard back from them yet.

The outfit does look a little bit tight.. but hey, they need the speed, feel the need to speed. Haha...

I just hope that the path really is done well. Wouldn't it be embarrassing if a cyclist fell over on the route and then had to sue SCC ? Hehe.... Let's not think about that.

Edited by salsafan