2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Actually if you think about it, why would it end up in the city centre any way as it cannot cater for that kind of people and bikes. It does need to end up in a stadium or a large park or greenary.

In the France legs of the race, don't they end up in small town centres perched up in the Pyrenees.

They manage there - why not here?

They have had previous cycle races go through the city centre - why couldn't this one?

In the France legs of the race, don't they end up in small town centres perched up in the Pyrenees.

They have had previous cycle races go through the city centre - why couldn't this one?

I would guess that small towns have a lot more space around them than Sheffield city centre has. You have no idea of the scale of this, to be fair I don't think that many non cycle enthusiasts do understand how big it's going to be.

Yes, but nobody is up there in the Pyrenees, right ? But in the City Centre, it is a working hub. So you will get your daily 500k of Sheffielders coming and going out of the city, plus on top of the sports goers too. I mean... can you imagine the chaos ?

Sometimes an event like this seriously need co-ordination but I doubt that we have that kind of skillsets in the city, or the collaborative nature of skills which is required to pull of an event co-ordination like this. That is if they are lateral thinkers, and do not go by the book and the bottomline, but do right by the event. People "used" to care, but they do not any more. We could not even grit our roads properly or that people cared about the businesses failing. Or maybe we do not give enough appreciation to those who work so hard for the tax payers. I don't know.

I also get the impression that this event is larger than your average marathon run too. Plus the vans of media coverage following the cyclists. How big can the roads be and why won't we give them those kind of flexibility to move around ?

I can see the route passing through the Meadowhall way. It is indeed more spacious and the roads are in better condition too.

Anyway, I'm excited. :love:

Edited by salsafan

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but nobody is up there in the Pyrenees, right ? But in the City Centre, it is a working hub. So you will get your daily 500k of Sheffielders coming and going out of the city, plus on top of the sports goers too. I mean... can you imagine the chaos ?
It's on a Sunday (IIRC), so no.

Thank God as well, as I just don't know how I'd have managed to get to/from work (Brightside Lane).

.... So you will get your daily 500k of Sheffielders coming and going out of the city, plus on top of the sports goers too. I mean... can you imagine the chaos ?
500k is the population of sheffield not the number who go in and out of the city. Plus the Sheffield stage is a sunday

---------- Post added 15-01-2014 at 16:29 ----------

I'd hardly class it as 'exciting', but well worth a laugh!

This is the latest designer lycra push bike wear ... apparently it makes you pedal a bit faster. I'm not surprised ... I'd cycle as fast as hell to get away from passers by if I was wearing that ridiculous outfit, how embarassing! I bet it was designed by Bradley on the back of a serviette just before making a speech at a charity dinner. :hihi:

that suit is for bike racing, not to wear to church on a sunday or wherever else you feel it might be an embarrasment. So, are you planning to show us ski suits, toboggan/bobsleigh suits, motoGP suits, football kit etc too, so that we can scoff on how rediculuous they too are? When you've ridden a bike properly (and I mean properly, not just down to GT news for your paper and fags) you can tell us all how unsuitable your sensible outfit of tee shirt and jeans was on those "proper" bike rides

There isn't anywhere suitable in the city centre for le Tour to finish the stage.

Correct me if im wrong but didnt sheffield city centre use to host a stage of a cycling race which finished in the city centre some years ago. ? Was it the Milk Race or tour of Britian or something like that . ?

500k is the population of sheffield not the number who go in and out of the city. Plus the Sheffield stage is a sunday

---------- Post added 15-01-2014 at 16:29 ----------

Before you jump down my throat. I was explaining to the previous poster why the route of cycling through the city centre is not going to work, because there is (likely) around 500k people going and coming through the city centre. :rolleyes:

I already know that the number 500k is the population number of Sheffield. If you read again, and I quote "your daily 500k of Sheffielders".

Correct me if im wrong but didnt sheffield city centre use to host a stage of a cycling race which finished in the city centre some years ago. ? Was it the Milk Race or tour of Britian or something like that . ?

You're not wrong, both the Milk Race and Tour of Britain have had stage finishes in sheffield. But the post you quote is also correct - There isn't anywhere suitable in the city centre for le Tour to finish the stage. You see the tour is much bigger than any other bike race. Its a bit like trying to host the World cup finals in a city that has hosted an FA cup semi final replay. Two different beasts.

---------- Post added 15-01-2014 at 17:09 ----------

Before you jump down my throat. I was explaining to the previous poster why the route of cycling through the city centre is not going to work, because there is (likely) around 500k people going and coming through the city centre. :rolleyes:
sorry matey, I don't do throat jumping ..... I still don't see 500k people daily coming and going through the city centre. If data or evidence proves me wrong, I'll accept. And I have no proof either, just commonsensical intuition.

I already know that the number 500k is the population number of Sheffield. If you read again, and I quote "your daily 500k of Sheffielders".
eh? me no understand the point here? Edited by hyper