2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Did I hear correctly on the news yesterday ( I'm sure if not somebody will be quick to tell me ) That in this region alone it's going to cost £2 million pounds more than originally estimated ? Why am I not surprised at this ? :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-26679085

it depends who you believe

it appears to relate to some estimated costs in the initial budget being less than the quotes received by approx £2.3m

this is for both yorkshire stages, not just the one in our area, and is based on a budget prepared in part by Leeds Council, not Sheffield

however, the organisers argue that they have already identified further savings, and the budget includes a contingency of £2.0m to cover underestimated expenditure like this

it is a bit concerning though that they appear to have underestimated the likely cost of something as fundamental as barriers, communications and first aid provision by 50% of the quoted cost

As I drive round Sheffield I don't spot many fields. Do your research. :rolleyes:

the route for stage two, from york to sheffield, goes past plenty of fields - not sure how many are suitable or available for parking though - can't be bothered to do any research as i won't be driving

the route for stage two, from york to sheffield, goes past plenty of fields - not sure how many are suitable or available for parking though - can't be bothered to do any research as i won't be driving

But as others have pointed out the route will be fenced off to prevent folk straying on to it. That means there will be hundreds of roads in Sheffield close to the closed track that no longer go anywhere. They will effectively become cul de sacs for several hours. Why doesn't it occur to the council to suspend parking restrictions on these non routes and allow the many thousand folk from out of town a chance to park and see the race.

I had imagined the idea of Sheffield being inconvenienced by the Tour de France passing through was because it would bring trade to the city. But if the idea is to shut the city to that trade then I wonder what benefit we will get.

But as others have pointed out the route will be fenced off to prevent folk straying on to it. That means there will be hundreds of roads in Sheffield close to the closed track that no longer go anywhere. They will effectively become cul de sacs for several hours. Why doesn't it occur to the council to suspend parking restrictions on these non routes and allow the many thousand folk from out of town a chance to park and see the race.

I had imagined the idea of Sheffield being inconvenienced by the Tour de France passing through was because it would bring trade to the city. But if the idea is to shut the city to that trade then I wonder what benefit we will get.

depends what you mean by trade - there will be many people presumably coming on transport other than cars and presumably there will be many taking advantage of the park and ride schemes - they will presumably be spending money

also presumably many will come in on cars and find other places to park and will be spending money

but i realise people like to slag off the council come what may so please don't let me stop you

As I drive round Sheffield I don't spot many fields. Do your research. :rolleyes:

If you drove round the bits of Sheffield where the Tour is coming through - Stocksbridge, Bradfield, Worrall, Oughtibridge, etc - you'd know there are plenty of fields there. Do your research.

If you drove round the bits of Sheffield where the Tour is coming through - Stocksbridge, Bradfield, Worrall, Oughtibridge, etc - you'd know there are plenty of fields there. Do your research.

Hey. It is great that we will be able to highlight Stocksbridge, Bradfield, Worrall, Oughtibridge. Perhaps it will attract someone to build the new city centre there. At least they won't get into the current city centre and see what a run down dump it has become, dominated by betting shops, pound stores and charity shops.

The tour organisers don't need to be told how to organise parking remember for them this isn't a one off event. They organise cycling events right across the world all year round, this is child's play to them. I doubt they need much help generating business the sheer scale of the caravan that follows the tour will be enough to book out all of Sheffield's hotels (if they overnight in Sheffield) and any popular restaurants.

Sheffield will not be shut down or grind to a holt. Business will boom over the weekend the TDF comes to town.