2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Sheffield will not be shut down or grind to a holt. Business will boom over the weekend the TDF comes to town.

The tour organisers don't need to be told how to organise parking remember for them this isn't a one off event. They organise cycling events right across the world all year round, this is child's play to them. I doubt they need much help generating business the sheer scale of the caravan that follows the tour will be enough to book out all of Sheffield's hotels (if they overnight in Sheffield) and any popular restaurants.

That is correct. The tour doesn't need to organise anything other than passage for its own entourage and accommodation for them on the way. Whether they bother to stay in Sheffield is another matter. As the following stage starts in France I doubt many will be booked into Sheffield hotels.

The tour probably couldn't care less about the commercial arrangements of the spectators, local businesses or councils. It is up to each to pick up the bills and the spin offs. For Sheffield business that would involve getting as many folk to visit Sheffield as possible and hopefully for many to stop over night. But if you are forced to spectate out around Penistone, and the city centre offers no parking, what incentive is there to visit?

The tour is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Sheffield. I have no doubt that there will be some commercial spin off. But you can always rely on Sheffield to blow it and miss out on the big picture.

It might if the council suspended parking charges for the day , the city centre could really benefit then .

It's laughable to even think that anyone thinking of coming to Sheffield for the purpose of the TDF be it business or pleasure are going to think I'll not bother because I've got to pay for parking.

It's laughable to even think that anyone thinking of coming to Sheffield for the purpose of the TDF be it business or pleasure are going to think I'll not bother because I've got to pay for parking.

That would depend whether they can find a parking place or not. Sheffield Council are contributing £900,000 towards hosting the event. If all the visitors do is watch the racing from a field in Ecclefield it isn't going to do much for the city. If they come into town afterwards for a meal but can't find anywhere to park that won't either.

That would depend whether they can find a parking place or not. Sheffield Council are contributing £900,000 towards hosting the event. If all the visitors do is watch the racing from a field in Ecclefield it isn't going to do much for the city. If they come into town afterwards for a meal but can't find anywhere to park that won't either.

I'm quite sure Sheffield City Centre will do very well over the weekend of the TDF regardless of the parking situation.

Not quite sure why people would be stood in a field in Ecclesfield. The race doesn't even pass through Ecclesfield.

And it's much more than just about getting people into the city over one weekend this summer. It's also a chance to show millions and millions of people from around the world our small part of the world.

That is correct. The tour doesn't need to organise anything other than passage for its own entourage and accommodation for them on the way. Whether they bother to stay in Sheffield is another matter. As the following stage starts in France I doubt many will be booked into Sheffield hotels.

The next stage starts in Cambridge. There are going to be a group of hotels between Sheffield and Cambridge that are going to coin it in, I'm sure it's already all booked.

The tour probably couldn't care less about the commercial arrangements of the spectators, local businesses or councils. It is up to each to pick up the bills and the spin offs. For Sheffield business that would involve getting as many folk to visit Sheffield as possible and hopefully for many to stop over night. But if you are forced to spectate out around Penistone, and the city centre offers no parking, what incentive is there to visit?

The tour is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Sheffield. I have no doubt that there will be some commercial spin off. But you can always rely on Sheffield to blow it and miss out on the big picture.

The tour and organisers will I'm sure provide a whole host of advice and assistance, while they do races all year round there is only 1 race at this level in the UK, they are looking to expand this and grow the sport in the UK. But you're right it's up to individual businesses to take advantage of the opportunity. The City Centre has plenty of parking but you have to pay for it, last thing we need is people who are spectating the tour coming into the centre to take advantage of the free parking.

The next stage starts in Cambridge. There are going to be a group of hotels between Sheffield and Cambridge that are going to coin it in, I'm sure it's already all booked.

The tour and organisers will I'm sure provide a whole host of advice and assistance, while they do races all year round there is only 1 race at this level in the UK, they are looking to expand this and grow the sport in the UK. But you're right it's up to individual businesses to take advantage of the opportunity. The City Centre has plenty of parking but you have to pay for it, last thing we need is people who are spectating the tour coming into the centre to take advantage of the free parking.

Indeed it is. Some of them might spend some cash at a local business. We wouldn't want that. Imagine anyone having the affront to buy from a local bar or cafe. That might prevent the city becoming totally derelict and taken over by betting shops.