2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

For most of the pros, Winnats wouldn't be anything overly demanding for them. The section between the 2 cattle grids is steep, but it's distance is quite short. Sure they wouldn't be wizzing up the climb but it isn't a climb that would be a cause for concern. Still it would make an awesome viewing point to watch the TDF if the climb was ever used.

Your average Alpine climb of 20km @ 7% would be more demanding for the pros than 500 meters @ 20%

Edited by dvp82

The last time we had a finish of a major bike race held in town this was the response. This was pre Hoy / Cav / Wiggo winning SPOTY so have attitudes changed now?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139157

Bike race set to quit city

Sheffield Star - 05 September 2006

SHEFFIELD'S place in 2007 Tour of Britain cycle race could be axed after riders protested over safety.

The Yorkshire leg of the cross-country race finished in the city centre last Thursday, causing traffic chaos during the rush hour. The race took much longer than expected.

Traders complained that business was hit because several city centre streets were closed off all day.

Riders were unhappy with the Sheffield finish. Several said it was particularly frightening to dodge oncoming cars as they sped downhill from Hathersage into the city centre.

Problems were experienced in other cities. In London five people were taken to hospital after a collision involving two motorcycle outriders.

After protests by riders and team managers, organisers promised a major rethink for next year and offered to drop Sheffield.

Discussions will be held with development agency Yorkshire Forward, which pays £150,000 a year to host the Tour. A three-year deal to fund the race is believed to have run out.

A city council spokesman said he would be sorry for the race to leave the city, but said: "Next year the Tour is going to travel in the opposite direction from south to north, finishing in Scotland, so we believe a Sheffield finish would have been unlikely.""

Same here but the road can be upgraded to take the greatest free show on Earth.

By the way Bradley Wiggins is B.B.C. sports personality of the year in this year of all years a remarkable achievement. Cycling is now Britains most succesfull sport ever.

It's about time too. Great performances all round. We had riders in the 1948 olympics too, two of them from Sheffield. Neville Taylor and Ken Slater. Over in Manchester Reg Harris was the sprint champion of the world. A team of independents ( semi-pro ) from the British League of Racing Cyclists, which I was a member of, sent a team to the TDF. Johnny Pound of that team was a school friend of mine. Freddy Krebs was nicknamed th "rearlight" for finishing dead last in the Tour, but at least he finished. Anybody who finished had a right to be proud.

It's about time too. Great performances all round. We had riders in the 1948 olympics too, two of them from Sheffield. Neville Taylor and Ken Slater. Over in Manchester Reg Harris was the sprint champion of the world. A team of independents ( semi-pro ) from the British League of Racing Cyclists, which I was a member of, sent a team to the TDF. Johnny Pound of that team was a school friend of mine. Freddy Krebs was nicknamed th "rearlight" for finishing dead last in the Tour, but at least he finished. Anybody who finished had a right to be proud.

I often rode with a Nev Taylor on the Sheffield Phoenix Winter club runs in the 50's and 60's .

The Lantern Rouge! have been that many times although not in any thing resembling the Tour.

Edited by neepsendlane

I often rode with a Nev Taylor on the Sheffield Phoenix Winter club runs in the 50's and 60's .

The Lantern Rouge! have been that many times although not in any thing resembling the Tour.

I was a member of the Sheffield RCC. We often did training runs with the Pheonix road club which was also BLRC, the Pheonix cycling club was NCU but we palled up anyway. We've probably ridden together. My career was the Royal Navy, but I rode whenever I could get home. All that changed after I got married and the bike became a BSA 500 twin, and eventually a Ford Anglia, I'm ashamed to say. I raced for a while in Malta. When my wife died in 1979, I went back on the bike riding a Colnago and doing some senior category stuff while training my son. I like riding in Connecticut. Some of the back roads remind me a lot of Derbyshire with the hills and stone walls. All the riders here wear their racing jerseys to train, very tuggo in my view. But you have to be able to be seen if you want to stay alive.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 15:46 ----------

I was a member of the Sheffield RCC. We often did training runs with the Pheonix road club which was also BLRC, the Pheonix cycling club was NCU but we palled up anyway. We've probably ridden together. My career was the Royal Navy, but I rode whenever I could get home. All that changed after I got married and the bike became a BSA 500 twin, and eventually a Ford Anglia, I'm ashamed to say. I raced for a while in Malta. When my wife died in 1979, I went back on the bike riding a Colnago and doing some senior category stuff while training my son. I like riding in Connecticut. Some of the back roads remind me a lot of Derbyshire with the hills and stone walls. All the riders here wear their racing jerseys to train, very tuggo in my view. But you have to be able to be seen if you want to stay alive.

I remember a lad who was in the Royal Navy at that time who was also a very good runner .

My bike also changed to a Matchless 500 twin but the same as you I was back to my Wilson a few years later .

Around two years ago I packed cycling in after getting knocked of for the fifth time so now i am a walker but still follow every thing cycling inc the one and only Bradley Wiggins.

My dad rode for Sheffield RCC in the 50's. Got a photo of him racing near Owler Bar, probably about 18 yrs old, North Mids Divisional Junior Champs he thinks, with Wes Mason in the background.

He got me into the sport, still racing as a young vet meself.

The last time we had a finish of a major bike race held in town this was the response. This was pre Hoy / Cav / Wiggo winning SPOTY so have attitudes changed now?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139157

Bike race set to quit city

Sheffield Star - 05 September 2006

SHEFFIELD'S place in 2007 Tour of Britain cycle race could be axed after riders protested over safety.

The Yorkshire leg of the cross-country race finished in the city centre last Thursday, causing traffic chaos during the rush hour. The race took much longer than expected.

Traders complained that business was hit because several city centre streets were closed off all day.

Riders were unhappy with the Sheffield finish. Several said it was particularly frightening to dodge oncoming cars as they sped downhill from Hathersage into the city centre.

Problems were experienced in other cities. In London five people were taken to hospital after a collision involving two motorcycle outriders.

After protests by riders and team managers, organisers promised a major rethink for next year and offered to drop Sheffield.

Discussions will be held with development agency Yorkshire Forward, which pays £150,000 a year to host the Tour. A three-year deal to fund the race is believed to have run out.

A city council spokesman said he would be sorry for the race to leave the city, but said: "Next year the Tour is going to travel in the opposite direction from south to north, finishing in Scotland, so we believe a Sheffield finish would have been unlikely.""

Not to worry - given SCC did not support this initiative, perhaps the Tour will be routed through York, Leeds and other places that did...