2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Tram tacks aren't an issue. They just put sheeting over them. Anyhow aren't Sheffield's cyclists supposed to negotiate the tracks on a daily basis?

i wasn't being entirely serious - although the tdf riders will be going a bit quicker than most of the daily cyclists in sheffield - although maybe not as aggressively as some!

Tram tacks aren't an issue. They just put sheeting over them. Anyhow aren't Sheffield's cyclists supposed to negotiate the tracks on a daily basis?

I would have thought the route could have finished on Fargate and the pedestrian area on the Moor used to gather it all up. Failing that go through town and finish in Graves Park, Endcliffe Park, Norfolk Park or Meresbrook Park.

The problem with those areas is they do not give the riders much of a open sprint finish.

Yes I do, I live near to it and often cycle past it. There is nowhere in the park that would be long enough, or flat enough for a sprint finish.

Who said in the park. Derbyshire Lane & Hemsworth Road would be perfect. The park alongside for spectators and ample space in the park for everything else.

The same at Millhouses Park. Abbeydale Road is dual carriageway. They could even keep half of it open.

But if Sheffield wanted to up its image the city centre was the place for the finish. It is a Sunday after all. Another golden opportunity wasted because of lack of vision.

Who said in the park. Derbyshire Lane & Hemsworth Road would be perfect. The park alongside for spectators and ample space in the park for everything else.

The same at Millhouses Park. Abbeydale Road is dual carriageway. They could even keep half of it open.

But if Sheffield wanted to up its image the city centre was the place for the finish. It is a Sunday after all. Another golden opportunity wasted because of lack of vision.

You said in the park, remember:

"I would have thought the route could have finished on Fargate and the pedestrian area on the Moor used to gather it all up. Failing that go through town and finish in Graves Park, Endcliffe Park, Norfolk Park or Meresbrook Park."

I am sure many locations were looked at, considered and ruled out as unsuitable (for many reasons). Just because they seem suitable to you doesn't mean they are.

You said in the park, remember:

"I would have thought the route could have finished on Fargate and the pedestrian area on the Moor used to gather it all up. Failing that go through town and finish in Graves Park, Endcliffe Park, Norfolk Park or Meresbrook Park."

I am sure many locations were looked at, considered and ruled out as unsuitable (for many reasons). Just because they seem suitable to you doesn't mean they are.

Oh dear you are getting picky aren't you. Here we are. I will make sure I get it dead right for the forum pedant.

The route could have had the finish line alongside a park. The cyclists could then cross the line on the road as they enter the park and finish in the park where they get off their bikes and have their physio. Is that better for you?

I'm sure they were looked at and ruled out. But that is very likely because Sheffield Council failed to make the effort with their proposal unlike Leeds and Harrogate who seem to have thrown the doors wide open. So the centres of Leeds and Harrogate with their fine buildings will be showcased to the world where Sheffield will have to make do with showcasing a few takeaways and a recently demolished sports stadium. Which do you think will get the most spin off?

Oh dear you are getting picky aren't you. Here we are. I will make sure I get it dead right for the forum pedant.

The route could have had the finish line alongside a park. The cyclists could then cross the line on the road as they enter the park and finish in the park where they get off their bikes and have their physio. Is that better for you?

I'm sure they were looked at and ruled out. But that is very likely because Sheffield Council failed to make the effort with their proposal unlike Leeds and Harrogate who seem to have thrown the doors wide open. So the centres of Leeds and Harrogate with their fine buildings will be showcased to the world where Sheffield will have to make do with showcasing a few takeaways and a recently demolished sports stadium. Which do you think will get the most spin off?

If you didn't mean the park then you should have said so in the first place. No need to get shirty :)

How do you know the council failed to make the effort? I guess you have information confirming this, do you?