2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

Jawbone Hill is 1.8 KM long, you climb 143 meters with an average ascent angle of 8.1% and a maximum angle of 8.6%.

Jenkin Road is 0.85 KM long, you climb 82 meters with an average ascent angle of 9.6% and a maximum angle of 31.2%. :o

Alp D'huez is nearly 14km long at around 8% gradient

Mt Ventoux is over 20km at 8-9%.

The Sheffield climbs are nothing to the climbers on the tour, though really steep bits like Jenkin road are where attacks could come as many won't be able to follow.

There are a lot harder and steeper hills in Yorkshire that the tour has left out.

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 23:18 ----------

I know absolutely nothing about cycling. (In fact have had no interest in this race up till now.)

Are these comments good?

Complimentary or complaining?

Anyway, nice to know they got a warm welcome.

A couple of weeks ago I rode to Bakewell and back, 52 miles and 1,700m of climbing as we also took a detour to Monsal Head. Matlock is 50 miles and 1,000m of climbing, and that's a pretty easy route I thought.

It's the speed at which professional cyclists ride for such long distances that is the impressive thing. They will average around 25mph over the whole 120 mile stage which as anyone who rides a bike will tell you, is incredibly difficult.

Edited by Rob_1

The Sheffield climbs are nothing to the climbers on the tour, though really steep bits like Jenkin road are where attacks could come as many won't be able to follow.

There are a lot harder and steeper hills in Yorkshire that the tour has left out.

---------- Post added 25-04-2014 at 23:18 ----------

A couple of weeks ago I rode to Bakewell and back, 52 miles and 1,700m of climbing as we also took a detour to Monsal Head. Matlock is 50 miles and 1,000m of climbing, and that's a pretty easy route I thought.

It's the speed at which professional cyclists ride for such long distances that is the impressive thing. They will average around 25mph over the whole 120 mile stage which as anyone who rides a bike will tell you, is incredibly difficult.

And there is not another sporting event in the World that comes any way near the physical effort needed to compete in the major cycling tours of France, Italy,and Spain.

That was the point to make which was Jawbone Hill isn't too bad, but the 31% gradient of Jenkin Road might make the stage interesting from there on in.

Maybe they ought to worry less about the hills and more about the speed bumps! How are they going to go round these in a racing group? There are some on oughtbridge lane (jaw bone)I've a great suggestion how about digging these and others up in Sheffield and using the "waste" to fill in some pot holes !:hihi:

That was the point to make which was Jawbone Hill isn't too bad, but the 31% gradient of Jenkin Road might make the stage interesting from there on in.

It would had they made it the finish, but the fairly flat last 5km after Jenkin Road will make almost certainly make it a bunch sprint.

Maybe they ought to worry less about the hills and more about the speed bumps! How are they going to go round these in a racing group? There are some on oughtbridge lane (jaw bone)I've a great suggestion how about digging these and others up in Sheffield and using the "waste" to fill in some pot holes !:hihi:

They will be removed for the race.

For anyone who may be trying to get around Sheffield on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th July - the Stocksbridge bypass, Tintwhistle/Woodhead Pass and Broughton Lane and Attercliffe Common to the finish line will close to all traffic on Saturday 5th July.

As an example of the massive entourage that will be in the area - it is expected there will be 500 officials vehicles, 180 advertising caravans including 20 HGV's, 100 press vehicles, 22 buses and 200 vehicles for the teams, 200 guest vehicles and 130 technical trucks parked in the area of the arena.