2014 Tour de France will start in Yorkshire and come to Sheffield

dvp82

So Tommo68 are you seriously suggesting that there should be some form of consultation period for every event that takes place in Sheffield that could result in inconveniencing some of the good folk of this city.

You will be pleased to know there is a city centre bike race in Sheffield on Wednesday 23rd July and yep roads will be closed.

Great Yorkshire Run in a few months as well isn't it?

Yup, roads closed.

The movement of emergency services through the affected areas and the fact that they are cutting off the majority of sheffield's population from the only A&E centre.

Yet some people on this site have the audacity to tell me I'm being selfish.

I wouldn't call you selfish with a quote like that. I'd call you irrational, emotional, dishonest, stupid and a bit of a joke really, but not selfish.

I wouldn't call you selfish with a quote like that. I'd call you irrational, emotional, dishonest, stupid and a bit of a joke really, but not selfish.

Couldn't agree more. You could use most of that to describe penistone999 too.

Even 12 hours is ridiculously long length of time to close of access between some parts of a city.

There are roads closed all the time with the current resurfacing works, and for much longer than 12 hours. Guess what, everyone manages and I haven't heard of a single person dying in a re-routed ambulance yet.

I can't be bothered to quote the rest of your post because it's plain silly. The worlds biggest bike race is coming to Sheffield, maybe you don't like it but millions do so you're going to have to cope with it, for all of ONE day. And if you avoid the areas it runs through and don't watch ITV4 or EuroSport you won't even know it's on.

There are roads closed all the time with the current resurfacing works, and for much longer than 12 hours. Guess what, everyone manages and I haven't heard of a single person dying in a re-routed ambulance yet.

I can't be bothered to quote the rest of your post because it's plain silly. The worlds biggest bike race is coming to Sheffield, maybe you don't like it but millions do so you're going to have to cope with it, for all of ONE day. And if you avoid the areas it runs through and don't watch ITV4 or EuroSport you won't even know it's on.

That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.......

I don't understand why the route had to go near to the NGH since it is a major trauma centre and receives emergency cases from all of South Yorkshire, north Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. I pray that nodody needing emergency care is delayed in receiving it by this 'event'.

Anyone who believes that it will not impact on local emergency health care is disillusioned imo.

That doesn't mean that it hasn't happened.......

I don't understand why the route had to go near to the NGH since it is a major trauma centre and receives emergency cases from all of South Yorkshire, north Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. I pray that nodody needing emergency care is delayed in receiving it by this 'event'.

Anyone who believes that it will not impact on local emergency health care is disillusioned imo.

The route got changed a few months ago, originally it was going to go down Herris Rd then on to Owler Lane right past the NGH.

Sure it will cause some inconvenience to some people visiting the NGH on a non emergency basis but anyone who believes this event will impact on the local emergency services be it police, fire, ambulance doing their job is disillusioned IMO.

I pray that nodody needing emergency care is delayed in receiving it by this 'event'.

The Tour finishes on the Champs Elysees every year. The whole of west central Paris is taken up with the finish for a day. The crowds are enormous. There are lots of hospitals in the area but the services cope.

London copes when it hosts innumerable events at Wembley and Twickenham. It copes when the London Marathon is on. Other world cities cope when they have major events.

You write imo but your opinion is about the event, not the services. You're just inventing lies about the services to get at the Tour. The Tour is coming regardless of what your opinion and that of Tommo, Penistone et al is.

Enjoy the day.

The Tour finishes on the Champs Elysees every year. The whole of west central Paris is taken up with the finish for a day. The crowds are enormous. There are lots of hospitals in the area but the services cope.

London copes when it hosts innumerable events at Wembley and Twickenham. It copes when the London Marathon is on. Other world cities cope when they have major events.

You write imo but your opinion is about the event, not the services. You're just inventing lies about the services to get at the Tour. The Tour is coming regardless of what your opinion and that of Tommo, Penistone et al is.

Enjoy the day.

Absolutely not - I couldn't care a flying fig about the cycle race.

I'm a nurse who works at the NGH and care about the impact the race WILL have on access in and out the hospital - not just emergency vehicles but for those trying to visit loved ones.

I am not 'inventing lies' about anything - you owe me an apology I think.

Edited by Daven

Absolutely not - I couldn't care a flying fig about the cycle race.

I'm a nurse who works at the NGH and care about the impact the race WILL have on access in and out the hospital - not just emergency vehicles.

I am not 'inventing lies' about anything - you owe me an apology I think.

As already said, people can just not visit for one day, it isnt going to kill them. If they really want to then they go the long way round, or turn up at hospital at half six in the morning and stay there all day until the roads reopen.

What is stopping people in parts of Sheffield which cant easily get to NGH going to other A&E departments in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire?