Dronfield Grammar (Henry Fanshawe) School

derrek

I was there twixt 1957 and 1964 and had to catch the 'Boothy's' school bus from Gleadless Town End. My nickname was Leo and I messed about rather too much! Had some lovely pals though and would love to hear again from anyone who remembers me (but I still can't pay you back!)

It was a very long time ago but I remember some of the teachers such as Gert (French), Piggy Nicholls, Ding Bell, Nobby Clarke, Dave Anderson, ? Allan, Mrs. Hetherington, Ken? Smith and Hinch? (Maths). OMG what a mixed bunch, and what an abysmally low average I.Q.

I remember those teachers too. There was also Mr. Wilding (Sherrif) who supervised lunchtime detentions in the old geography room - I got to know it quite well! Then there was deputy head, Mr. Dixon (Trogg or Shandy), who lived opposite the school playing fields on Green Lane. I was in the same form as one of his daughters called Eve. One other lady teacher was Miss Cadman (Knees) who blushed terribly when she got angry.

---------- Post added 23-12-2012 at 12:20 ----------

Jud Allen's H.Q was the woodwork room where the glue pot was always smelling & bubbling away. Ding Dong Bell (physics teacher) was always popping in for a mash-up. One of our first exercises was to plane a bit of 2 by 1 up and try to get it 'square'. This took several lessons and my piece ended up as a piece of 1 by 1/2 and it still wasn't square. Meanwhile (if you think that was boring), the girls were up in the domestic science room learning how to butter bread evenly & right up to the edges of each slice. I know this cos the gorgeous Pam Outram let me have a taste after the bell! It was love at first bite !

• 1 month later...

Archived