How many more? School shooting, many dead.

Difference there is that the Chinese laws/punishment will ensure he/she never repeats that offence.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 18:43 ----------

Look at the figures for incidents of gun crime in the UK then ban gun ownership in USA.

Yep. See how low it is by comparison in a country that does not allow what the USA does. Save lives every day from the first day and every day.

You're more likely to hear calls for restrictions on children carrying guns at school to be relaxed, because if all the kids had guns then at least one of them could have shot the gunmen.

When we last discussed this topic at the time of a mass shooting in a cinema over there a few months ago someone actually did argue along those lines i.e. that if people were allowed to carry guns everywhere there'd be fewer shootings. The stupidity of people having to take guns with them when going to the cinema in order to avoid being shot didn't dawn on them. And so I expect those people who are most pro-American will soon be on here defending laws that get lots of Americans shot dead in the name of American patriotism.

Difference there is that the Chinese laws/punishment will ensure he/she never repeats that offence.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 18:43 ----------

Look at the figures for incidents of gun crime in the UK then ban gun ownership in USA.

Banning gun ownership wont solve the problem. This is a simplistic solution that is no solution at all. It might be a solution for small nations but it's far more complex in a nation with a population of over 300 million

Even were Congress to vote to repeal the Second Amendment to the Constitution and require all owners of firearms that have been registered to turn them in there would still be a few million firearms in circulation that were in the hands of people who are not the registered owners.

It's coming to the day when school campuses and shopping malls will have to implement security measures similar to those at airports.

Banning gun ownership wont solve the problem. This is a simplistic solution that is no solution at all. It might be a solution for small nations but it's far more complex in a nation with a population of over 300 million

Even were Congress to vote to repeal the Second Amendment to the Constitution and require all owners of firearms that have been registered to turn them in there would still be a few million firearms in circulation that were in the hands of people who are not the registered owners.

It's coming to the day when school campuses and shopping malls will have to implement security measures similar to those at airports.

I agree but nowhere can you stop a complete nutter.They can just turn up and fire indiscriminately anywhere.

Your right though ,the government can`t take hundreds of millions of guns out of circulation.I bet most people who own a gun own more than one.

When we last discussed this topic at the time of a mass shooting in a cinema over there a few months ago someone actually did argue along those lines

I know, and they suggested the same at the university shootings a few years back, with several people finding it outrageous that guns were banned from the university premises.

Every time there's one of these events, the same claims are made that more access to guns would put people off from carrying out these attacks, completely ignoring the issues how it would work in real life. If someone was running round a school shooting everybody in sight, is it really in the best interests of the teachers to abandon the kids and go look for them in the hope of getting a shot off first?

I agree but nowhere can you stop a complete nutter.They can just turn up and fire indiscriminately anywhere.

Your right though ,the government can`t take hundreds of millions of guns out of circulation.I bet most people who own a gun own more than one.

I've always believed that you can be killed anywhere at anytime by some nut with an axe to grind. You'll never know the shooter or the reasons for his actions. You just happened to be there.

Many years ago a demented middle aged woman sitting next to me at the coffee counter in a Greyhound bus station threw her cup of coffee over me babbling on that I was a private detective who had been paid to spy on her

Half the nuts in the world aren't even locked up

Those calling for a complete ban on gun ownership are as deluded as those who want increase gun ownership and more people carrying.

The NRA could be a force for good in this matter, by taking a responsible attitude to gun ownership (like supporting the bans on high capacity magazines and body armour penetrating ammo, which there is no legitimate need for the general public to have access to), but I fear they will be playing off this tragedy to promote their views on increasing the availability of guns for "self defence".

Scant comfort to be taken from that I fear.

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 18:36 ----------

Fortunately firearms are much less widely available here.

You would be surprised how easy it is to hire one,but if used, you will have to pay the full wack,as it is non returnable.

Shooter has been ID as Ryan Lanza aged 20 who had connections to the school.

I tend to believe that he's causcasian. These kind of sick loonies seem to be predominantly white for some reason.

If the name out there is correct then he's white. Seemingly he also has killed one of his parents at their home prior to going on the rampage.

Archived