How many more? School shooting, many dead.

Those calling for a complete ban on gun ownership are as deluded as those who want increase gun ownership and more people carrying.

The NRA could be a force for good in this matter, by taking a responsible attitude to gun ownership (like supporting the bans on high capacity magazines and body armour penetrating ammo, which there is no legitimate need for the general public to have access to), but I fear they will be playing off this tragedy to promote their views on increasing the availability of guns for "self defence".

I agree that no one has any legitimate reason for owning an assault type weapon. Many of these type weapons are sold at gun shows and not properly registered nor the buyer having to wait for a background check to be done.

Gun shows were permanently banned in Los Angeles County for this very reason

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 19:31 ----------

If the name out there is correct then he's white. Seemingly he also has killed one of his parents at their home prior to going on the rampage.

He's also from out of state. Car has New Jersey license plates

As news of yet another school shooting breaks - as many as 27, many children, dead in Connecticut today - one has to ask will the USA ever take serious steps to limit the access of the public to firearms?

I don't think gun ownership has anything to do with it. Canada has a higher concentration of gun owners than the USA and yet has a 99% lower rate of shooting. Switzerland has far more guns and yet murder is almost unheard of.

It is people who commit murder. If they have access to guns they will use them. If not they use bombs, knives, poison or whatever else comes to hand.

10,000 people murdered 9/11 and not a gun in sight.

As news of yet another school shooting breaks - as many as 27, many children, dead in Connecticut today - one has to ask will the USA ever take serious steps to limit the access of the public to firearms?
'm responding to the very first post on this thread. I first heard of it when I was leaving the VA hospital in New Haven, Connecticut this morning and by now it is ,of course, world wide. 26 dead, 18 of them elementary school children between 5 and 10 years old. Any of these horrible events beggars description, but when it happens in your own state it hits home harder still. Newtown is considered one of the safest towns in one of the safest states in the US. It is a dormitory town for the well to do business men and women of NYC. I cannot disagree with you about there being too many firearms in the US, but nobody seems to want to take on the NRA, who can buy up any politician they want. Britain itself has not totally missed massacres, one in England, and one in Scotland with many children dead. That's a lot less than over here, but today it appears nobody is safe anywhere in the world. We're going to mourn these poor kids and those who died as well probably trying to save them. They're all our children. I don't know what to think about the 20 year old man who did this. What drove him to do it? Anyway, he's dead and the children of Connecticut are safe again for a while, but where next?

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 15:24 ----------

I'm responding to the very first post on this thread. I first heard of it when I was leaving the VA hospital in New Haven, Connecticut this morning and by now it is ,of course, world wide. 26 dead, 18 of them elementary school children between 5 and 10 years old. Any of these horrible events beggars description, but when it happens in your own state it hits home harder still. Newtown is cosidered one of the safest towns in one of the safest states in the US. It is a dormitory town for the well to do business men and women of NYC. I cannot disagree with you about there being too many firearms in the US, but nobody seems to want to take on the NRA, who can buy up any politician they want. Britain itself has not totally missed massacres, one in England, and one in Scotland with many children dead. That's a lot less than over here, but today it appears nobody is safe anywhere in the world. We're going to mourn these poor kids and those who died as well probably trying to save them. They're all our children. I don't know what to think about the 20 year old man who did this. What drove him to do it? Anyway, he's dead and the chifren of Connecticut are safe again for a while, but where next?

'm responding to the very first post on this thread. I first heard of it when I was leaving the VA hospital in New Haven, Connecticut this morning and by now it is ,of course, world wide. 26 dead, 18 of them elementary school children between 5 and 10 years old. Any of these horrible events beggars description, but when it happens in your own state it hits home harder still. Newtown is considered one of the safest towns in one of the safest states in the US. It is a dormitory town for the well to do business men and women of NYC. I cannot disagree with you about there being too many firearms in the US, but nobody seems to want to take on the NRA, who can buy up any politician they want. Britain itself has not totally missed massacres, one in England, and one in Scotland with many children dead. That's a lot less than over here, but today it appears nobody is safe anywhere in the world. We're going to mourn these poor kids and those who died as well probably trying to save them. They're all our children. I don't know what to think about the 20 year old man who did this. What drove him to do it? Anyway, he's dead and the children of Connecticut are safe again for a while, but where next?

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 15:24 ----------

I'm responding to the very first post on this thread. I first heard of it when I was leaving the VA hospital in New Haven, Connecticut this morning and by now it is ,of course, world wide. 26 dead, 18 of them elementary school children between 5 and 10 years old. Any of these horrible events beggars description, but when it happens in your own state it hits home harder still. Newtown is cosidered one of the safest towns in one of the safest states in the US. It is a dormitory town for the well to do business men and women of NYC. I cannot disagree with you about there being too many firearms in the US, but nobody seems to want to take on the NRA, who can buy up any politician they want. Britain itself has not totally missed massacres, one in England, and one in Scotland with many children dead. That's a lot less than over here, but today it appears nobody is safe anywhere in the world. We're going to mourn these poor kids and those who died as well probably trying to save them. They're all our children. I don't know what to think about the 20 year old man who did this. What drove him to do it? Anyway, he's dead and the chifren of Connecticut are safe again for a while, but where next?

This just reinforces what I've said before. If you can be killed in a state like Connecticut you can be killed anywhere.

Banning gun ownership wont solve the problem. This is a simplistic solution that is no solution at all.

To wipe out killing overnight I will agree. Banning gun ownership on the other hand is a start. There always has to be a start.

I don't think gun ownership has anything to do with it. Canada has a higher concentration of gun owners than the USA and yet has a 99% lower rate of shooting. Switzerland has far more guns and yet murder is almost unheard of.

It is people who commit murder. If they have access to guns they will use them. If not they use bombs, knives, poison or whatever else comes to hand.

10,000 people murdered 9/11 and not a gun in sight.

I don't think you can buy an AK47 with a cup of coffee in Switzerland or Canada. It isn't about the amount of guns available, it's about the control, or lack of.

Americans buy more AK47s than the Russian military and police combined it seems.

Archived