How many more? School shooting, many dead.

It's not the gun laws is it? Not really. Something like this is about some seriously broken parts of society. How on earth can anyone's mental state to get so - can't even describe it - how can someone's mind get so lost they do this?

How does a person think of doing this, and no-one know how badly they need help before it happens? Can't wrap my head around it. Not one little bit. I've not shed tears over a news item before, but this is too much.

As news of yet another school shooting breaks - as many as 27, many children, dead in Connecticut today - one has to ask will the USA ever take serious steps to limit the access of the public to firearms?

No they wont. Ever!

Its in their constitution and ingrained in their culture.

Its like asking us religious to give up god.

RIP to all the victims :(

Not everyone in America lives in a City the size of NYC or Chicago. Most of us live in small towns with a very small police force, and most of us live there peacefully and happily, many of us own a handgun as well as a hunting rifle and shotgun as well. Some houses are in remote areas as well, and the hand gun gives people a feeling of relief. Home invasion is on the increase, with a noted case here in Connecticut where two ex cons broke intio a home, bludgeoned the Doctor owner almost to death, strangled his wife after raping her, then tied her two daughters to a bed, and set the house on fire, killing them. A handgun could have saved them. The two men are in the death house, but are not likely to be executed. Its not the done thing in Connectiut

Please don't read any judgement into this as it is a genuine series of questions. I understand your point about safety/self-defence but why the need for 3 different types of gun in one household? Could 1 hunting rifle not fulfil all of the required roles? Do you need to carry a concealed gun, is that the purpose of the handgun? Haven't a clue about the shotgun.

Terrible news. What a price to pay for people who think that owning a firearm is a 'civil liberty'. What about the liberties of these victims?

Not long after the Columbine massacre, the NRA held a rally.

I think the speech opened with "From my cold dead hand" or something.

This will be no different in terms of changing the gun laws however i hope the NRA show a little more respect for peoples feelings this time.

It's not the gun laws is it? Not really. Something like this is about some seriously broken parts of society. How on earth can anyone's mental state to get so - can't even describe it - how can someone's mind get so lost they do this?

How does a person think of doing this, and no-one know how badly they need help before it happens? Can't wrap my head around it. Not one little bit. I've not shed tears over a news item before, but this is too much.

I think you are both right and wrong at the same time; clearly a man capable of killing children on this scale is a deeply damaged and twisted individual. At the same time though, the easy availability of firearms and the culture surrounding that means that it's horribly easy for the deranged and murderous to lay their hands on firearms.

Not long after the Columbine massacre, the NRA held a rally.

I think the speech opened with "From my cold dead hand" or something.

This will be no different in terms of changing the gun laws however i hope the NRA show a little more respect for peoples feelings this time.

I remember that and remember being disgusted by it. Charlton Heston with a revolutionary musket in his hands I think. Seemed to lack any decency.

I remember that and remember being disgusted by it. Charlton Heston with a revolutionary musket in his hands I think. Seemed to lack any decency.

Thank you.

I was racking my brains as to who it was who made the speech.

I knew it was someone famous but couldn't recall.

Yes, it was utterly disgusting. The sad thing is the NRA are just too powerful.

Any president who tries to take them on will lose so for now, i think the gun laws will stay the same.

What action would you require and how to do it?
Very simple. The possession of a firearm becomes an act punishable by life imprisonment, no possibility of parole. I wonder how many of the NRA civil liberties crowd would be dumb enough to not turn their firearms in?

Only the armed forces would be allowed to carry firearms and limited numbers of the police, just like over here.

AIUI the privatised prison system in the US is guaranteed a minimum population, being paid for every prisoner. So big business would certainly be in favour of such a law - more profit for them when all the gun nuts are banged up.

I know of no country in the world where one has the civil liberty to shot to death one's fellow countrymen. Or children.

It's a very sick and broken society that allows over 9000 of it's citizen's to be shot to death each year without taking some pretty draconian action to stop it.

As news of yet another school shooting breaks - as many as 27, many children, dead in Connecticut today - one has to ask will the USA ever take serious steps to limit the access of the public to firearms?

seems it is happening far too often in the USA....since Dunblaine thank God we havent witnessed it here again since.......you cant even enter a school now without using the intercom...infact sometimes it is a nuisance, but then you think of what has happened today and just realise why it has to be done, unfortunately :(

Very simple. The possession of a firearm becomes an act punishable by life imprisonment, no possibility of parole. I wonder how many of the NRA civil liberties crowd would be dumb enough to not turn their firearms in?

Only the armed forces would be allowed to carry firearms and limited numbers of the police, just like over here.

AIUI the privatised prison system in the US is guaranteed a minimum population, being paid for every prisoner. So big business would certainly be in favour of such a law - more profit for them when all the gun nuts are banged up.

I know of no country in the world where one has the civil liberty to shot to death one's fellow countrymen. Or children.

It's a very sick and broken society that allows over 9000 of it's citizen's to be shot to death each year without taking some pretty draconian action to stop it.

That's a totally stupid knee jerk response.

Archived