Can anyone interpret runic symbols, or point me to anyone that could ?

harestone

This is the symbol in question.

And this is the closest match i can find which apparently represents the word "estate".

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 14-12-2012 at 19:41 ----------

Could a moderator please move this to the history section for me.

Thanks.

It represents not just the word 'estate' but 'home' (or to cover both, 'homestead')

It occasionally appears as a cross (as the illiterate have signed their mark for centuries, and therefore represents 'me')with a 'roof' above but not touching 'me'

Given the above logic, your symbol is indeed Othila, but context would be useful. Representative that such things often are, it could represent a wider location, eg you yourself may state that you live in Sheffield, or you could state that you live in Britain

Or I could be talking a load of tripe ;)

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 09:41 ----------

This might support my above post

http://rune-life-lesson.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/11-othala.html?m=1

I think you will find there are different versions of the runes.

This symbol maybe an 'Oakham' symbol, I'm sure you would find a book in the central library if you do not get an answer on here.

you could always give them a ring.

Happy Days1 PopT

Could a moderator please move this to the history section for me.

Thanks.

Hi harestone,

I've merged the other thread with this one, as both had replies. If you do accidentally post in the wrong area, the best thing to do is use the "Report Post" link to ask the moderators to move it for you.

The 2nd one is listed, Letter O. The symbols appear to be very contextual and diffucult to apply. Can't find the 1st one anywhere. Maybe it's an extension of the 2nd

http://dionaea.com/fun/runes.php

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/english/beowulf/rune.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70GkfVBiUs

Thanks for the reply Mecky, i got the interpretation from Google images, this page where it's interpreted as "inherited land", others suggest it means property or ownership, so pretty much similar interpretations, though yes it could represent a letter of the runic alphabet.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:46 ----------

In what context did you find this rune?

Knowing how it presented to you may be important in the meaning.

First might be variant of second, like some of the ornamental forms of our letters.

Hi jfish.

The symbol is carved into a rock close to the cairn upon Brown Edge, there's also another close by that has carvings on it, these are the best pics i have of the two.

Rock 1.

Rock 2.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:47 ----------

Hi harestone,

I've merged the other thread with this one, as both had replies. If you do accidentally post in the wrong area, the best thing to do is use the "Report Post" link to ask the moderators to move it for you.

Thanks Andy, i did consider reporting the thread but i wasn't sure if it was ok to do that. Thanks for the merge. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:49 ----------

Btw, i'm also discussing this on Sheffield History here.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:56 ----------

It represents not just the word 'estate' but 'home' (or to cover both, 'homestead')

It occasionally appears as a cross (as the illiterate have signed their mark for centuries, and therefore represents 'me')with a 'roof' above but not touching 'me'

Given the above logic, your symbol is indeed Othila, but context would be useful. Representative that such things often are, it could represent a wider location, eg you yourself may state that you live in Sheffield, or you could state that you live in Britain

Or I could be talking a load of tripe ;)

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 09:41 ----------

This might support my above post

http://rune-life-lesson.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/11-othala.html?m=1

Thanks for that Strix, very interesting.

My first thought was they are boundary stones, though what (if any) boundary they may represent i have no idea. I know the old stone circle up there very well, but i've no evidence of any dwellings close by hence thinking they are boundary stones.

Thanks for the reply Mecky, i got the interpretation from Google images, this page where it's interpreted as "inherited land", others suggest it means property or ownership, so pretty much similar interpretations, though yes it could represent a letter of the runic alphabet.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:46 ----------

Hi jfish.

The symbol is carved into a rock close to the cairn upon Brown Edge, there's also another close by that has carvings on it, these are the best pics i have of the two.

Rock 1.

Rock 2.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:47 ----------

Thanks Andy, i did consider reporting the thread but i wasn't sure if it was ok to do that. Thanks for the merge. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:49 ----------

Btw, i'm also discussing this on Sheffield History here.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 11:56 ----------

Thanks for that Strix, very interesting.

My first thought was they are boundary stones, though what (if any) boundary they may represent i have no idea. I know the old stone circle up there very well, but i've no evidence of any dwellings close by hence thinking they are boundary stones.

What I can see it means ( I own this)( this is mine land and all that on it) .

I may well be wrong .

But it the best I can make of .

As in the gold rush of old to stake a claim.

What I can see it means ( I own this)( this is mine land and all that on it) .

I may well be wrong .

But it the best I can make of .

As in the gold rush of old to stake a claim.

Thanks for that.

Can i ask, are you basing that just on the runic symbol, or the other markings too. ? I'm at a total loss what the other markings are but my eyes see from left to right -

1 The "rune"

2 Straight line with a "foot"

3 Upside down 3

4 Straight line

5 Upside down B

6 a Celtic cross

Thanks for that.

Can i ask, are you basing that just on the runic symbol, or the other markings too. ? I'm at a total loss what the other markings are but my eyes see from left to right -

1 The "rune"

2 Straight line with a "foot"

3 Upside down 3

4 Straight line

5 Upside down B

6 a Celtic cross

The rune .

The cross is like a no entry sign.

The bars over it is like a roof.

Many think Runes are for telling fortunes with and not as a writen word .

I have seen one like this in York and the guy there said it meant Mine own and is norse (Viking).

Archived