What lessons should schools and universities learn?

I grew up dirt poor in Pitsmoor and went on to study art. Maybe you should have too. You could have a brain that works in colour instead of black and white.

I agree with your post entirely.

I teach Science for a living, but I still understand the essential contribution of the Arts and Humanities to our society.

We are going to see both of these under threat in the next few years as tuition fees force students into totally pragmatic decisions. Shame really.

Many of the available jobs are beneath some of our well educated youngsters so we us immigrants to fill the vacancies. The jobs that our youngsters want require experience which they don’t have so we use immigrants to fill these vacancies as well. This leaves us with lots of well educated inexperienced youngsters doing nothing, as well as plenty of uneducated inexperienced disillusioned youngsters that were told at school that they could achieve anything.

Of course the real reason we bring so many immigrants to do these jobs is because they'll work for lower wages and worse terms and conditions. Employers like to complain that all youngster are useless morons and that's why they opt for cheap immigrant labour but the simple truth is that they do so because it allows them to put in cheaper bids for contracts and it allows them to increase their profit margins.

They should teach their students how to learn.

---------- Post added 15-12-2012 at 04:20 ----------

Of course the real reason we bring so many immigrants to do these jobs is because they'll work for lower wages and worse terms and conditions.

Really, I thought they were all on benefits?

There are two reasons to go to University:

1/. You are interested in a subject, and want to learn all you can about it;

2/. You need to sell your services to earn enough to eat and put a roof over your head, and you expect your university course to make your services valuable enough for someone to buy them.

In the first case, YOU have made a choice, and decided to learn 10th century BCE Greek for your own pleasure (assuming you can find anyone to teach you.

In the second case, yes, the universities should think about the value for money of the courses they offer.

• 3 months later...

not exactly an answer to the question, but a complaint, about the way government is starting to use Universities as a milch cow and charging asylum seekers who've been given leave to remain in the country full whack (and it is full whack) as international students, when that's the very thing they aren't, and can't afford to pay as.

:loopy:

When these mites/suckers sign up for the £50-100K debt for life, if one wants to be a vet or doctor, its economic suicide. So to get a PhD can cost well over 100K. So being thick is the sensible thing to be, and as we are all in it together who cares?

Becoming a doctor is economic suicide? Jog on! My sister has been through med school and did a bioscience undergrad degree before that and so ended up with more debt than most, but I can assure you she isn't on the breadline and never will be!

Also most students will not amass as much as 50k debt, and it isn't for life as it is wiped out after 30 years, plus you only pay anything back at all whilst earning over 21k. All it is is a small extra tax if you've been to uni, it's really not a massive deal/hardship like you're making it out to be.

Its a question of what everyone wants out of these places. Business wants perfect recruits ready to do highly skilled work but wont train people like businesses used to. Schools teach a curriculum but people want schools to be responsible for socially engineering children. Universities aren't really there to teach, they are there to provide a guided environment in which dedicated and capable individuals can learn and grow to a point of maturity and attitude that makes them more rounded in their approach to the world.

Archived