Quickest & easiest way to defrost freezer?

It's one of those jobs that I keep telling myself I'll do it next week - and next week never comes. Now the ice has got so thick I'm having trouble pulling out the baskets so I've got to do it :(

I've tried the hot water in pans but it takes hours & hours....

Has anybody got any tips how to do it quickly?

I always use a wooden rolling pin, just bash each shelf with the long edge to loosen the ice and prise any chunks out with your fingers (and not a screwdriver). Once you've got the bulk of the ice out the old boiling water in pans technique will polish off the job for you.

jb

* I take no responsibility for you fubaring your freezer by using this method.

It's one of those jobs that I keep telling myself I'll do it next week - and next week never comes. Now the ice has got so thick I'm having trouble pulling out the baskets so I've got to do it :(

Move it in front of a gas fire.

30 minute job.....

Remove frozen food and place in the fridge.

Blast the freezer (unplugged) with a hair dryer.

Remove large chunks of ice as they fall.

Mop up.

Replace frozen food and plug in.

Simples.

30 minute job.....

Remove frozen food and place in the fridge.

Blast the freezer (unplugged) with a hair dryer.

Remove large chunks of ice as they fall.

Mop up.

Replace frozen food and plug in.

Simples.

That ^ isn't the best way to do it. I don't know the science of how it works, but hot air takes very much longer.

My foolproof method does a brilliant job from start to finish in around half an hour (you will need a mop or old towels handy).

Use an ordinary fan (NO heat), like you would have in the summer. Stand it directly in front of the (empty) freezer door, and the ice melts in seconds. It's amazing how quick it works. You can be done and dusted in no time whatsoever. Trust me, it works! :)

I use Pete Morris' method

Desk fan, or fan heater set to no heat

As defrosting begins, chunks come loose. Use wooden or silicone spatula to prize them off (no metal implements)

Towels on the floor help, as does a roasting tin under the drain point

The science bit - there's a specific rate you can raise the temperature of a substance, so a large body of moving room temperature air is more effective than single point heat. It's water that behaves oddly, with boiling water freezing more rapidly than cold water. The same properties don't apply to air as far as I know, and especially when it's moving air, which naffs up the thermodynamic flow

Archived