Do the anti-smoking ads work?

jackthedog

Originally posted by Killian

anyway, more young people smoke than ever, despite the lack of advertising telling them how 'cool' it is to smoke, so what exactly is the answer?

Make tobacco illegal in my view. Even though there would undoubtedly be a black market how many people would dare smoke in public if doing so meant a fine or imprisonment.

Before anyone says this is unfair to smokers, I don't care. My ONLY concern is my own health and I feel this is the best way to protect myself from passive smoking.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

Make tobacco illegal in my view. Even though there would undoubtedly be a black market how many people would dare smoke in public if doing so meant a fine or imprisonment.

Before anyone says this is unfair to smokers, I don't care. My ONLY concern is my own health and I feel this is the best way to protect myself from passive smoking.

you must spend a hell of a lot of your life in pubs if you are worried about passive smoking. smoking is banned in my workplace, in the works canteen, all restaurants i frequent, and many pubs have no smoking areas. could you please explain where exactly you are subjected to all this passive smoking? I have been a non-smoker for 25 years now (yes, I did smoke in my senseless teenage years, but gave up), and I rarely notice people smoking unless they actually blow it in my face. you appear to be obsessed by it.

Originally posted by slimsid2000

I frequently smoke in public.

So you'd be quite happy for this country and the taxpayers to foot the bill for £8bn in lost revenue, meanwhile putting that £8bn in the hands of organised crime, without changing the smoking stats an iota and starving the NHS of badly needed smokers taxes.

No, by the sound of it, the best way to protect yourself from passive smoking would be to actually stop breathing.

Originally posted by Call_Me_Sue

There's a program on Fox called "Bull****", with Penn and Teller, which roundly debunked the passive smoking = harmful theory.

Ahh, Penn & Teller. The two cornerstones of any sensible current affairs debate.

Hmmm.

Originally posted by jackthedog

Ahh, Penn & Teller. The two cornerstones of any sensible current affairs debate.

Hmmm.

Hmm, that doesn't worry me so much as the fact it was on Fox, a network known for its hard hitting objective investigations and news...

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Hmm, that doesn't worry me so much as the fact it was on Fox, a network known for its hard hitting objective investigations and news...

*cracks the whip twice*

Get back to work I tell thee!!! :P

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

And it was only on Fox here in the UK. The original broadcasts in America were on "Showtime".

Archived