Phone calls from abroad

I have had so much trouble with nuisance international calls from Indians asking to speak to Mr xxx (not me) that we now just let them ring.

Usually we then don't get another for a month or two.

Recently we had an international call twice a day for 3 days.

I got so annoyed I answered intending to give them a piece of my mind.

To my amazement it was a recording informing my wife she had a hospital appointment in a few days time.

If she was going to attend press 1 to cancel press 2.

How long has the NHS used Indian call centres or routed their calls from abroad???

• 1 month later...

Posting links to sites without a comment so that our users have some idea about what they are likely to find on that site is against forum rules and therefore an uncommented link was removed and a reminder left.

How long has the NHS used Indian call centres or routed their calls from abroad???

I use Skype to make my phone calls. I don't have a 'real' landline. I have a local area phone number which receives the calls and Skype do their own routing on outgoing calls.

As a result of that, if you have caller ID then although the call originated in my house, your caller ID will show that it came from somewhere thousands of miles away.

A number of companies also seem to use Skype (or other VOIP companies) so although the caller could be a few miles away, the call will seem to originate from wherever the VOIP company links into the landline system.

Archived