Cars with defective lights

The police moan about being underfunded yet the amount of lighting (and other) offences have never been so bad.I was out in fog patches the other day and a good 3 out of 5 drivers were using inapropriate lighting.

Its amazing how many had no lights on or just sidelights.Then of course theres the muppets who use fog lights on in the rain.Its a pointless excersice nowadays trying to point it out to people,they are just too thick!

While it is no excuse the car makers havnet made change light bulbs easy on mine to do the NS headlight its a right job you need fingers 10 inch long with 47 joints !

I can not change them i get someone else to do it , indeed some garages take the entire headlight out to do it.

This is a valid point - on my first car (an ancient Vauxhall) changing the bulbs was a five minute job. On my current car (a Ford) it's much more complex and I actually take advantage of Halford's service because it takes me for ever to do it myself.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 18:01 ----------

I've even known of one driver who took her car into the garage because her 'washer jets stopped working'. The problem? No fluid.

When I was picking my car up from the garage last week another customer was booking their car in. I overheard the mechanic saying "we'll change your oil" to which the customer replied "you don't need to do that, the warning light's not come on yet".

This is a valid point - on my first car (an ancient Vauxhall) changing the bulbs was a five minute job. On my current car (a Ford) it's much more complex and I actually take advantage of Halford's service because it takes me for ever to do it myself.

---------- Post added 16-12-2012 at 18:01 ----------

When I was picking my car up from the garage last week another customer was booking their car in. I overheard the mechanic saying "we'll change your oil" to which the customer replied "you don't need to do that, the warning light's not come on yet".

This is why I hate buying second hand cars. You never know what idiot has abused it in the past.

You`re a severe & hard person Sarah. :hihi: I think that would work.

But what should the drug dealers (for example) have done to them?

Write me a list of crimes and appropriate punishments. We could start a whole new thread.

Defective Headlight = Cracked scull administered by a traffic officer

Dealing drugs to school kids = Perhaps a warning (but only after numerous warnings)

Driving a few mph over the speed limit = increased insurance premiums for the next 10 years

Beating up an OAP = Let off with a caution

Promoting terrorism = Be given a new house, all the bills paid + all expenses

Farting in public = Caution + public humiliation

Defective Headlight = Cracked scull administered by a traffic officer

Dealing drugs to school kids = Perhaps a warning (but only after numerous warnings)

Driving a few mph over the speed limit = increased insurance premiums for the next 10 years

Beating up an OAP = Let off with a caution

Promoting terrorism = Be given a new house, all the bills paid + all expenses

Farting in public = Caution + public humiliation

Which of these offences apply to yourself?

Im staggered by the amount of cars im seeing on the roads with either defective front or rear lights.

Some times one light out, sometimes two or more. Oner car i saw today was running on front side lights only with only one rear light working as well.

Do these people not realise its dangerous?

Get them fixed and if you cant be bothered i hope you get pulled and fines by the boys in blue!

The problem is caused by poor quality light bulbs that are available in most motoring and DIY shops. The company that produces them has a monopoly and it's very difficult to get decent ones that last long enough to be considered of merchantable quality. My advice is to buy OEM only. Go to your main dealer and buy the manufacturer's own bulbs as they are likely to be much better quality. I can't say which brand it is that you should avoid on here, but if you would like to P.M. me or better still, RING me at home, I can tell you personally.

While it is no excuse the car makers havnet made change light bulbs easy on mine to do the NS headlight its a right job you need fingers 10 inch long with 47 joints !

On my car you have to dismantle the entire grill to to fix a side bulb.

It's an 'engine out' job to replace the headlight bulb in my car.

And the tail light - next time that goes, I'm getting rid of the car.

I always tell people if I see a tail light out.as unless someone tells you, you don't know, and not all cars have the the dash that lights up if you have a defective bulb. What really angers me is the drivers who drive on side lights or even worse, NO lights in the adverse weather we have had recently!! IDIOTS!!

I had to drive over the A66 on Friday - after it had been closed due to bad weather. It was dark, foggy and raining heavily, and yet there were still morons driving along without lights.

Archived