Sports Personalitys Don't Have Personalitys

By the way I'm very pleased with Bradley Wiggins having become Sports Personality of the Year. Few people expected that to happen in an Olympic Year, and there were more than enough worthwhile contenders. Still, his slapping down the arch-hypocrite Piers Morgan was delightful. Did it for me more than anything. At last someone putting the Personality back into Sports Personality.

why is it a personality award? what does personality have to do with anything?

They should really call it the "BBC Most Popular Successful Sportsperson of the Year as judged by the fickle and fleeting criteria of the moment".

How else could Nigel Mansell possibly win a sports "personality" contest.

Twice.

By the way I'm very pleased with Bradley Wiggins having become Sports Personality of the Year. Few people expected that to happen in an Olympic Year, and there were more than enough worthwhile contenders. Still, his slapping down the arch-hypocrite Piers Morgan was delightful. Did it for me more than anything. At last someone putting the Personality back into Sports Personality.

Wiggins was the favourite from the start, he was odds on to win at every bookies from the day it was announced.

Wiggins actually seems like a nice bloke - although I find his Mod obsession silly for a grown man. He looks like a kid at Brighton Beach - did you see that stupid fringe?

How else could Nigel Mansell possibly win a sports "personality" contest.

Twice.

Probably because the people at the BBC understand that the word personality has more than one meaning. Its a fairly simple concept.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/personality

Definition of personality

noun (plural personalities)

1the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character:

she had a sunny personality that was very engaging

[mass noun]:

she has triumphed by sheer force of personality

[mass noun] lively, engaging qualities:

she’s always had loads of personality

2a celebrity or famous person:

an official opening by a famous personality

3 [mass noun] archaic the quality or fact of being a person as distinct from a thing or animal.

4 (personalities) archaic disparaging remarks about an individual.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/personality

Definition of personality

noun (plural personalities)

1the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual’s distinctive character:

she had a sunny personality that was very engaging

[mass noun]:

she has triumphed by sheer force of personality

[mass noun] lively, engaging qualities:

she’s always had loads of personality

2a celebrity or famous person:

an official opening by a famous personality

3 [mass noun] archaic the quality or fact of being a person as distinct from a thing or animal.

4 (personalities) archaic disparaging remarks about an individual.

isn't definition 2 tautologous - if a personality, by the definition provided, is a famous person, why does the example given say "an official opening by a famous personality" - using their definition they are saying "an official opening by a famous famous person"

• 3 years later...
Same again with this year's winner, andy Murray hasn't got much of a personality.

When he's playing tennis he seems to have loads of personality and he wears it on his sleeve. Maybe you're judging him by how he interviews, and you can't blame him for being guarded after he was seriously stitched up of the football World Cup interview that he gave.

You just think they have no personalitys because everybody else on TV is arrogant and full of themselves.

Sports people are generally just normal people who are well known because of what they do and wouldn't consider themselves 'celebritys', so don't make a big show every time they're on the TV, don't jump around to feign excitement, they're acting just as you and I probably would if we happened to have to collect an award but we considered ourselves as normal people.

Good point. I generally can't stand self-obsessed celebrity types. In fact, I've just massively understated how much I detest them.