What's the point of alloys on the average car?

Every car I have driven in the last 10 years has had alloy wheels, in comparison to almost every car I drove before 2000 that did not.

As I walked down Ecclesall Road yesterday I noted that more than 90% of cars had alloy wheels, even on the most basic runarounds.

The reason that this is in my mind is that that we have just bought a runaround. We bought the most basic model, and the sales assistant tried to talk us into some "special edition" for an extra grand which basically came with a DAB radio and alloys.

I was rather tempted by the look of the alloys, but then my wife said she preferred the basic steels and looked forward to the prospect of once again being able to park the car without the fear of damaging the alloys on the car. Freedom!

I can recall numerous arguments between spouses over damaged alloys.

So it got me thinking ... apart from looks, whats the point of alloy wheels? Have we all just been suckered into a marketing meme?

:huh:

Every car I have driven in the last 10 years has had alloy wheels, in comparison to almost every car I drove before 2000 that did not.

As I walked down Ecclesall Road yesterday I noted that more than 90% of cars had alloy wheels, even on the most basic runarounds.

The reason that this is in my mind is that that we have just bought a runaround. We bought the most basic model, and the sales assistant tried to talk us into some "special edition" for an extra grand which basically came with a DAB radio and alloys.

I was rather tempted by the look of the alloys, but then my wife said she preferred the basic steels and looked forward to the prospect of once again being able to park the car without the fear of damaging the alloys on the car. Freedom!

I can recall numerous arguments between spouses over damaged alloys.

So it got me thinking ... apart from looks, whats the point of alloy wheels? Have we all just been suckered into a marketing meme?

:huh:

On a slightly flippant note. They're easier to damage, break, bend, scuff etc...so it's more return cutom!...But then again, I'm cynical! ;)

On a slightly flippant note. They're easier to damage, break, bend, scuff etc...so it's more return cutom!...But then again, I'm cynical! ;)

The last car I had without alloy wheels lost a wheel disc every few weeks, either stolen or they flew off going down the motorway. Either way they cost about £30 a time to replace. They were also a right bugger to get off on the one occasion that I needed a wheel changing.

They are lighter, stronger and don’t rust, they increase fuel efficiency , acceleration, better cornering and shorter stopping distance, apart from that they look much nicer than crappy steel wheels covered in plastic.

They are also round and run true.

They reduce the unsprung mass to some extent which is good, (although inboard brakes is a better way of doing this). They dont rust, and they look good. I suspect the latter is the real reason.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 15:07 ----------

I can understand that on a high performance car but what appreciable difference does it make on an average vehicle..anything noticeable?

When braking on uneven surfaces, which is most of Sheffield really they can make a noticeable difference to stopping distance.

What's the point of alloys on the average car?
It's an evil conspiracy originally mastered by locking wheel nut manufacturers to increase their sales :twisted:

They dont rust, and they look good.
They can bubble instead, and many a car I have seen would look better with steels or the original (OEM) alloys ;)

Archived