Muslim Spice Website - Real or Parody?

Marx

a long term experniment.

raise a few children, do it in a non brainwashing fashion. during their childhood dont mention, christianity, hinduism, muslim etc, dont mention racism, dont show any agression.

see how many of those children decide to wear a scarf! how many become racists, or bigots or christians.

i think the answer would be none. take away childhood brainwashing and religion would dissapear overnight.

Many of us find islamic dress liberating, for many of us, it means freedom from being a slave to fashion.

I mean, If we don't want to comb our hair, or change out of our pyjamas, it's easy to slip the abaya over what we are wearing. No worrying about "do we conform to the size -0 fascism... " none of this "Oh you have to look like Cheryl Cole" crap, or " You have to wear XYZ brand shoes" gubbins (Insert Christian Laboutin or Manolo Blahnik brand of choice here! lol)

I can understand that a lot of Muslim women wear whichever they wear by choice, but I have to say that I'm not a Muslim and I'm not a slave to fashion. If I don't want to comb my hair, I'll just tie it up, if I don't wanna change I'll stay in, I pay absolutely no attention to size 0 rubbish and don't feel I have to look like anyone or wear any brand, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

Surely it's all a case of if you want to wear X, you wear X. The problem is that because to non-Muslims it looks oppressive, it is automatically assumed that there is someone in the shadows forcing them to do everything! I personally couldn't hack it as a Muslim woman who by choice wore a headscarf or a niqab.

What some perceive as their freedom of choice to wear the muslim dress is false its a fantasy drummed into them by their repressive religion..you can chose what you want as long as you choose what we tell you to.Its what you would call being brainwashed and being in denial.

a long term experniment.

raise a few children, do it in a non brainwashing fashion. during their childhood dont mention, christianity, hinduism, muslim etc, dont mention racism, dont show any agression.

see how many of those children decide to wear a scarf! how many become racists, or bigots or christians.

i think the answer would be none. take away childhood brainwashing and religion would dissapear overnight.

I am of the view that some of these children would turn into adults who would see a way of gaining power over people and invent "religion"

Tribalism has always existed, it is different to religion.

The fear of differences between peoples will be reduced by interaction and education.

I personally love taking the good bits out of all cultures I interact with.

speaking as a Muslim, there are differing schools of thought in Islam, from the quite liberal to the really hardline.

I think it's the same in any religion. I'm a Christian but I wouldn't like to get roped in with those ultra conservative ones in the US who burn books and don't believe in evolution.

What some perceive as their freedom of choice to wear the muslim dress is false its a fantasy drummed into them by their repressive religion..you can chose what you want as long as you choose what we tell you to.Its what you would call being brainwashed and being in denial.

or indoctrination maybe?

Oh dear. You shouldn't marry:

Non-haya types: You can spot these women easily. They may even be wearing hijab. But they do not have any shyness when talking to a man. They will ease into a conversation with a stranger man in her college class or work or public just as easily as she would ease into a conversation with a woman. This is not her fault. She was raised in an inclusive environment where men and women are ‘equal’ and so her dealings with men and women are also identical.

See, it's not my fault! I just stupidly think men and women are equal! And I am so pleased to know I can be a gynaecologist or teach girls (as long as it's part time).

---------- Post added 18-12-2012 at 14:34 ----------

Yay for Hakeem in the comments though.

Many of us find islamic dress liberating, for many of us, it means freedom from being a slave to fashion.

...No worrying about "do we conform to the size -0 fascism... " none of this "Oh you have to look like Cheryl Cole" crap, or " You have to wear XYZ brand shoes" gubbins (Insert Christian Laboutin or Manolo Blahnik brand of choice here! lol)

You can be free from all that stuff without adopting Islamic dress, you know!

Also, given the wide variety of hijab colours, styles, and accessories, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that hijab wearers aren't guided by fashion too!

It seems this thread has turned in to a debate about the covering of women at the behest of God. My original post was about if the Muslim Spice web site was 'real' or someone was parodying the misogynistic culture prevalant in Islam.

Similar bias also exists in Orthodox Judaeism where women wear wigs when outdoors and are expected to fulfill a traditional role. Fundie christians also embrace the concept of the man being in charge and the wife being submissive. The roles of each sex are clearly defined with scripture on-hand to endorse the bias.

So how can we respect someone's beliefs when they subjegate women and do not provide them with anything approaching the same opportunity as their men?

---------- Post added 18-12-2012 at 22:45 ----------

a long term experniment.

Or even educate children to think rationally and to use evidence-based criteria when ascertaining fact from myth. We pussy-foot around 'not' offending people who believe the most absurd and ridiculous garbage and we can even be prosecuted for offending their sensibilities.

as strange as it may seem, there are women who wear the niqaab by choice.

People assume that I have been forced to wear my headscarf by some tyrannical husband, but, no, I wear my headscarf by choice. No-one has "made" me wear it.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 23:36 ----------

But you are making assumptions about that woman, Marx.

I mean, If we don't want to comb our hair, or change out of our pyjamas, it's easy to slip the abaya over what we are wearing. No worrying about "do we conform to the size -0 fascism... " none of this "Oh you have to look like Cheryl Cole" crap, or " You have to wear XYZ brand shoes" gubbins (Insert Christian Laboutin or Manolo Blahnik brand of choice here! lol)

Why is it only women who 'choose' to cover up though? Surely the last thing Muslim men want is all those women and gay men lusting over them?

Archived