Getting out of a mobile contract ??

The only thing that's mentioned in any of the Which information that explains why you wouldn't be able to exit is a mention of "small print". Presumably which would say that the price could change...

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 10:21 ----------

Whilst they can undoubtedly share info between each other I doubt whether they do it for the purposes of blacklisting people. They will however pass the data onto CRAs (Credit References Agencies) where it will show as a cancelled contract. Other prospective Mobile companies may, if they so desire (and probably in conjunction with other adverse data), use this as a means to refuse a contract.

I had a similar thing with Vodafone, I cancelled my contract (in the correct manner) and cancelled my direct debit. They continued to try to take payment with the end result of my credit report showing three missed payments and a default. It took a couple of months of battling before I got them to admit to their mistake and remove the adverse data from my report.

jb

I've never got a copy of my credit report, I'm surprised that it would include information about cancelled contracts though... Although i can believe it.

This wasn't what someone had suggested would happen though, and wasn't what I was arguing against.

I wouldn't think that someone with a good credit record would be refused a phone contract due to having cancelled a contract once though.

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 10:29 ----------

Reading around the subject, it seems to go back to what has been mentioned already, that if the price rise is >RPI then you could cancel the contract, otherwise not.

The only thing that's mentioned in any of the Which information that explains why you wouldn't be able to exit is a mention of "small print". Presumably which would say that the price could change...

That's exactly right - they include these clauses for that very reason.

OFCOM are looking at it with a view to banning mid contract raises - but at the moment they are entitled to do it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/9617369/Ofcom-to-clamp-down-on-mobile-phone-price-rises.html

Claudio Pollack, Ofcom’s Consumer Group Director, said: “Ofcom understands the frustration that consumers feel when faced with price rises in what they assume to be a fixed contract with a fixed price. Having considered the large number of consumer complaints, we will soon consult on ways to address consumer concerns and ensure they are being treated fairly in this area.”

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 10:21 ----------

I've never got a copy of my credit report, I'm surprised that it would include information about cancelled contracts though... Although i can believe it.

This wasn't what someone had suggested would happen though, and wasn't what I was arguing against.

I wouldn't think that someone with a good credit record would be refused a phone contract due to having cancelled a contract once though.

To continue the derail... Your credit report contains the payment history of mobile phone contracts, so not only will any missed/late payments be listed but so will any cancelled contracts. This is somewhat contentious as there is no credit agreement with mobile contracts so it is debatable the CRAs have the right to contain data from such. I also doubt that having one cancelled contract showing on your report would seriously influence your ability to get new contracts, if however you were a serial canceller I could see it going against you.

jb

---------- Post added 19-12-2012 at 11:23 ----------

It seems that the 'standard' phrase is to allow price rises in line with RPI though, in the OPs case is the increase not greater than RPI, thus giving him a get out?

Depends if it is on the pre-VAT or post-VAT amount. I'm betting on post-VAT.

jb

How long have you got on contract?

If you were both to go sim only and keep your current phone - you can save a stack. For example, GiffGaff - which runs on the O2 network and can often be used in a phone locked to O2 (or an unlocked phone) would give 800 mins, unlimited texts and unlimited data for £20.

Or, 250 minutes, unlimited data and unlimited texts for £12.

None of the above is a contract - you simply obtain a sim (with a fiver's credit if you get one given), top up then buy your 'goodybag' which lasts a month. Or, you can do as I do and simply top up and pay for calls at 10p per minute and 6p per text.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

If you do decide to go down that route, let me know as I have some sims available with the £5 free credit on.

Giffgaff used to be good, most networks can easily beat them now, there unlimited data doesn't include tethering either.

My t-mobile contract is now £5/m 100 mins, unlimited txt, unlimited net (including tethering) and they gave me a phone which I sold for £200(not everyone will be able to barter a deal like this though)

I imagine you keep a stash of sims so you get free credit when people signup with them ;)

Archived