Last Night of the Proms

Downsunder

They used to show it on TV, late at night between Christmas and New Year, the warmest time of the year, often accompanied by a violent thunderstorm. I remember a few years ago sitting on the verandah just before midnight, Rule Britannia and Jerusalem blasting out from the TV, lightening flashing in the sky and thunder rolling in over the Western Tiers. What a night!

They screened the Proms for the benefit of us poor expats posted out in the far reaches of the colonies just to reassure us that Britannia still ruled the waves. There is still an England. There is still an Empire.

Is there?

They haven't shown the Proms for a long time.

They may not show it in Tassy, but it still happens every year and is still televised over here. The Proms run over the summer for us BTW and the last night is usually sometime around early September, so whoever decided to show it at Christmas for you had been sitting on it for a good few months before televising it.

I'm not sure about the whole empire question though, and my brain isn't up to forming a proper response to that today (it's too full of snot!).

Archived