Laptop is running REALLY slowly and don't know why

some guy

That's interesting - why would you not reformat? It is well known that Windows has a habit of slowing down over time, particularly if the owner has been installing and uninstalling many and varied programmes. I see that magazines that offer software disks even issue warnings about this now.

I realise it's a bit of work due to backing up, updates and reinstallation of programmes but it usually rejuvenates a slow computer markedly. I do agree that it isn't something to do for no reason (I can't imagine that anyone would). However, in the OPs case it would seem that there might be a reason for reformatting as the thread is about a slow laptop which may or may not benefit from such a procedure.

That's interesting - why would you not reformat? It is well known that Windows has a habit of slowing down over time, particularly if the owner has been installing and uninstalling many and varied programmes. I see that magazines that offer software disks even issue warnings about this now.

I realise it's a bit of work due to backing up, updates and reinstallation of programmes but it usually rejuvenates a slow computer markedly. I do agree that it isn't something to do for no reason (I can't imagine that anyone would). However, in the OPs case it would seem that there might be a reason for reformatting as the thread is about a slow laptop which may or may not benefit from such a procedure.

Just for those reasons - its fine if you have the time, and have proper restore disks and backups.. but most people don't and won't realise that until its too late.

Only reason I mentioned it was you suggested 'if you haven't reformatted in a while'... which suggested you were thinking of doing it as a matter of routine.

Windows shouldn;t slow down at all if you keep on top of things though - mine runs as well as it did, with a bit of regular cleaning and keeping things updated.

Oh yes, I see now. My laptops tend not to slow down either because I maintain them properly. Reformatting is only done if they are being passed on or upgraded. Fortunately, it is never a problem because I have all the disks but yes, preparation is key and it can be a problem for some people who do not have all the relevant components.

• 4 months later...

Archived