Tories call for Welfare Card for benefit claimants

Just more stereotyping of anyone who claims benefits... and that's pretty much anyone with a child and anyone who earns the Sheffield average wage or less.

Are you looking forward to handing over your benefits card and being told you can't buy something because it's on a Government prohibited list for poor people? You're not an adult who can make your own decisions, you're a benefits claimant and you have to be forced to live in a Government approved manner.

its more about survival, if they made the approved list of goods cheaper by using a card i would be all for it. its so hard now trying to juggle bills, food, heating, rent, transport costs,

anything that helps has got to be good. make the little we get go that bit further.

its more about survival, if they made the approved list of goods cheaper by using a card i would be all for it. its so hard now trying to juggle bills, food, heating, rent, transport costs,

anything that helps has got to be good. make the little we get go that bit further.

It won't necessarily make things cheaper. They tried a scheme like this in Australia and it increased the basic cost of living for people who had to use the card.

Make no mistake that any such scheme will be delivered by the private sector and will need to generate profits for the provider. It wouldn't be done to help you.

Crazy. The cheapest fruit & veg is in markets. Market traders won't accept these cards so the govt are effectively making those on benefits pay more for their fruit & veg etc.

there is one fruit and veg stall in the castle market which does accept the "sodhexo" (SP?) pass/ Card. (I believe it's the one issued to refugees/ asylum seekers? correct me if I'm wrong?)

The problem is, looking at the other stalls, and comparing prices, it's about the dearest of the lot.... :(

also, what's considered an essential, under this scheme, and what's not?

For me, my mobile phone contract, at £15 a month (sim card in a second hand phone!) is an absolute necessity, because of my heart condition.

If I need to call for help, I need to contact the doc or ring 999 there and then, not struggle through an angina attack or whatever to find the house phone:- I have my mobile to hand and can (Hopefully) summon help immediately.

Some may say it's a luxury. For me it absolutely isn't.

It's a similar thing with my internet. It enables me to keep in touch with my friends and family who are overseas. They can keep a check on how I am by email or facebook, and vice versa.

Archived