Tories call for Welfare Card for benefit claimants

With the animosity displayed on SF towards people on benefits, I'd say it was positively dangerous to have a way of identifying them at large. I can see them being spit at, mugged, even beaten up in the streets for being unfortunate enough to be carrying a benefits card.

Who's to say they do that anyway? It sounds like you've been reading the DM again and jumping to conclusions just like that sorry excuse for a rag does. It's in the news this morning that less than 50% of the UK population do not support the government's current action on benefits. This draconian proposal stands very little chance of being formalised let alone make it into parliament. Sorry to rain on your parade and all that, but if you want to live in such a harse country that this government is trying to create, maybe you should go and live in the Middle-East.

Maybe I should be a little more specific. I think those on JSA, and I speak as a person who has been on JSA, should not be able to gamble away their benefits. That money is meant to help you survive in the time you are looking for gainful employment, not to be gambled away.Am I am sure people are gambling away their benefits.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 11:53 ----------

Are you sure you agree with a welfare state?

I totally agree with a welfare state as a form of insurance to us all when we need it. What I don't agree with is habitual career benefit claimants who abuse the system.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 11:54 ----------

With the animosity displayed on SF towards people on benefits, I'd say it was positively dangerous to have a way of identifying them at large. I can see them being spit at, mugged, even beaten up in the streets for being unfortunate enough to be carrying a benefits card.

why? they wouldn't have to wear an arm band with a symbol or anything. how would you identify a benefit claimant from anyone else?

I have just been to the corner shop to get some milk and things and there was a guy in front of me he bought a packet of ten fags and ten pound on scratch cards then stood there scratching away while I payed for my stuff,what a complete waste of money he might as well have thrown his money in the bin,the only person to benefit from that was the tax man,I just stood and looked at him and thought what and absolute idiot waste of space you are, I know you should not judge people but he didn't look all that well off to be wasting money like that surly there must be more important things to spend your money on than things like that.

I have just been to the corner shop to get some milk and things and their was a guy in front of me he bought a packet of ten fags and ten pound on scratch cards then stood there scratching away while I payed for my stuff,what a complete waste of money he might as well have thrown his money in the bin,the only person to benefit from that was the tax man,I just stood and looked at him and thought what and absolute idiot waste of space you are, I know you should not judge people but he didn't look all that well off to be wasting money like that surly there must be more important things to spend your money on than things like that.

Bob Geldof is relatively well-off but he desn't look like he has money. So you see someone you don't like and just assume they are on benefits.

Bob Geldof is relatively well-off but he desn't look like he has money. So you see someone you don't like and just assume they are on benefits.

I think if you were to assume he was on some kind of benefit you would not loose a bet on it, I don't think you would find a Bob Geldof type person putting ten pound on a scratch card in our corner shop.

I have just been to the corner shop to get some milk and things and there was a guy in front of me he bought a packet of ten fags and ten pound on scratch cards then stood there scratching away while I payed for my stuff,what a complete waste of money he might as well have thrown his money in the bin,the only person to benefit from that was the tax man,I just stood and looked at him and thought what and absolute idiot waste of space you are, I know you should not judge people but he didn't look all that well off to be wasting money like that surly there must be more important things to spend your money on than things like that.

There were 2 things he was spending his money on: hope and despair.

Hope, insomuch as winning the lottery is a way out of poverty and despair as when we are told that smoking shortens our lives some people's lives are so awful then they cannot see the point in extending it.

Obviously, this may or may not have applied to this gentleman, or in fact anyone who buys lottery cards and/or cigarettes, it is merely food for thought for you in your judgemental day.

I'm not a rich man by no means, I would say I am financially comfortable I would have to think twice before I wasted ten quid on scratch cards, I bought a loaf milk and some tea bags when I went there costing about £3 odd, maybe he might have done his shopping already and had a bit of spare cash you never know.

I'm not a rich man by no means, I would say I am financially comfortable I would have to think twice before I wasted ten quid on scratch cards, I bought a loaf milk and some tea bags when I went there costing about £3 odd, maybe he might have done his shopping already and had a bit of spare cash you never know.
thats the trouble you think to much :hihi::hihi::hihi: you should be thankful that these people on benefits are buying plasma tvs/sky tv etc while they may not be able to afford it, at least they are spending and helping the economy while you on the other hand by saving your money are not helping :hihi::hihi::hihi:

thats the trouble you think to much :hihi::hihi::hihi: you should be thankful that these people on benefits are buying plasma tvs/sky tv etc while they may not be able to afford it, at least they are spending and helping the economy while you on the other hand by saving your money are not helping :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I don't save my money I spend it enjoy it you only live once you don't get any interest from the bank no point in saving I keep a bit to one side for a rainy day, just don't like spending it on rubbish.

Archived