Tories call for Welfare Card for benefit claimants

Why is it a bad idea?

When my daughter was born we were given milk tokens,we happily took them to the nearest shop to get baby milk. Some shops just took them against your general shopping.

Surely having a fixed budget for food and clothing with perhaps some pocket money(as per Oz) for the odd treat is no different to how the rest of the population live.

Its amazing how benefit claimants don't feel stigmatised when they're getting reductions for the theatre or cinemas, or leisure facilities or down at the PDSA. Amazingly it then becomes a badge of honour.

I don't save my money I spend it enjoy it you only live once you don't get any interest from the bank no point in saving I keep a bit to one side for a rainy day, just don't like spending it on rubbish.
but think your entitled to tell other people how to spend theirs :huh:

Its amazing how benefit claimants don't feel stigmatised when they're getting reductions for the theatre or cinemas, or leisure facilities or down at the PDSA.

Firstly which cinemas and theatres offer reductions for people on benefits these days? Secondly the PDSA is a charity, and while thankful they were there; I used to absolutely hate having to take my dog there when he had need of them.. or should people on benefits also have to automatically go have their pets euthanised too?

Amazingly it then becomes a badge of honour.

You're doing a good job of flame baiting considering you're a moderator, as this statement is total inflammatory hogwash!

Firstly which cinemas and theatres offer reductions for people on benefits these days? Secondly the PDSA is a charity, and while thankful they were there; I used to absolutely hate having to take my dog there when he had need of them.. or should people on benefits also have to automatically go have their pets euthanised too?

You're doing a good job of flame baiting considering you're a moderator, as this statement is total inflammatory hogwash!

That would be these theatres to start with

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/your-visit/booking-information/offersanddiscounts/

I'm making no judgement on unemployed/beneft claimants i've been there myself,i'm merely stating what appears obvious to me. The stigma of being unemployed never appears to bother them when they can claim free or discounted stuff.

That would be these theatres to start with

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/your-visit/booking-information/offersanddiscounts/

I'm making no judgement on unemployed/beneft claimants i've been there myself,i'm merely stating what appears obvious to me. The stigma of being unemployed never appears to bother them when they can claim free or discounted stuff.

Did it bother you, or are you putting yourself above THEM.

So that's all you could find, because I think you'll probably find the like's of Vue and Cineworld don't offer those kinds of discounts..

Oh and another thing, the PDSA expects a 'donation' for each and every attendance.. plus it is only available for 1 pedigree dog (if you have 2 the other has to go without).. AND medications do have to be paid for, ok not at the exorbitant rates charged by private vets, but still paid for at least at cost.

I'm making no judgement on unemployed/beneft claimants

Yes you are.. you're stating that all those on benefit's go around happily declaring they're on benefits as if it's some kind of 'badge of honour'. That in itself is inaccurately judgemental.

been there myself,i'm merely stating what appears obvious to me.

In other words your making a wholly inaccurate and sweeping generalisation... did you (when you were 'there yourself') go about the place announcing to all and sundry you were unemployed and on benefits as if it were some kind of 'badge of honour' on the off chance you might get some token reduction or concession? Or did you have some gumption and self worth to not do so?

The stigma of being unemployed never appears to bother them when they can claim free or discounted stuff.

Have you actually stopped to ask all these people you've apparently witnessed asking for free stuff.. to see if it bothers them having to do so? No? I didn't think so..

I don't think you would find a Bob Geldof type person putting ten pound on a scratch card in our corner shop.

No but plenty of well known rich premiership footballers spend a fortune on gambling.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 16:46 ----------

The Stigma of being unemployed is inflamed by the right wing media and press.

Don't read these newspapers, after all they are only the opinion of the person writing the article.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 16:47 ----------

Archived