Angry Muslims demanding ban on gay marriage

To be fair neither is the USA so while separation of church and state is a big issue for you guys it is not for us.

In not having separation of church and state does this mean that your government could at anytime in the future pass a law that would make it an "act of discrimination" if religious institutions of any faith refused to perform a marriage between a same sex couple?

In not having separation of church and state does this mean that your government could at anytime in the future pass a law that would make it an "act of discrimination" if religious institutions of any faith refused to perform a marriage between a same sex couple?

In a word, no. The latter has got nothing to do with the former.

The reason that only the CofE and CofW have been legally prohibited from same sex marriages is because they are obliged as an organisation by law not to refuse to marry Christians of any denomination and that would cause conflict with the choice principle of this legislation.

Forcing any religious institution to perform gay marriages would almost certainly breach the HRA Article 9 or any successor to it on freedom of thought, conscience and religion, so would be unlawful.

Thats amazing and could not see it happening here.Ithought it was written in the quoran If man lies down with man.Kill the man.

Yes it is

"Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done.”[5] He even went so far as to condemn the “appearance” of homosexuality, when he cursed effeminate men and masculine women and ordered his followers to "Turn them out of your houses."[6] This ruling on homosexuals was naturally adopted by his later successors.

The father of Aisha and Muhammad’s first successor, Abu Bakr, had a homosexual burned at the stake. The fourth Rightly-Guided Caliph, Muhammad’s son-in-law Ali, ordered homosexuals to be stoned, and even had one thrown from the minaret of a mosque."

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Islam_and_Homosexuality

The Islamic faith is very clear about the 'crime' and punishments for homosexual relationships.

Yes it is

"Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done.”[5] He even went so far as to condemn the “appearance” of homosexuality, when he cursed effeminate men and masculine women and ordered his followers to "Turn them out of your houses."[6] This ruling on homosexuals was naturally adopted by his later successors.

The father of Aisha and Muhammad’s first successor, Abu Bakr, had a homosexual burned at the stake. The fourth Rightly-Guided Caliph, Muhammad’s son-in-law Ali, ordered homosexuals to be stoned, and even had one thrown from the minaret of a mosque."

http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Islam_and_Homosexuality

The Islamic faith is very clear about the 'crime' and punishments for homosexual relationships.

None of which is from the Quran. So no it isn't.

The Hadith often contradict the Quran, and the fact that some of these hadith make up in some instances the Shariah is in itself anti Islamic when you look at the religion on the whole and in context, and extremists both pro and anti Islam do not like it when this is pointed out.

You've very selectively quoted from a very anti Islamic source, that's not entirely a fair and balanced appraisal of the subject.

Islam does not agree with Homosexuality, my personal opinion on this is that I disagree with Islam on this issue, but it definately, most certainly does not say kill a homosexual in the Quran. You are wrong.

Maybe it's time that the government passed a law saying there shall be no established religion of any kind. That would fit in with a modern multicultural society.

The Queen might lose her title as being head of the C of E but why should she be involved in anything to do with religion anyway?

Britian has moved much further on from the era of Henry the Eighth

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm actually opposed to disestablishment. I think having a slightly wishy washy Anglican church as a part of the ruling class helps to prevent the kind of bugnuts religious free-for-all that's evident in the States.

I'm opposed to an established church as a matter of principle, but I think it has proven perversely useful for facilitating a kind of common cultural secularism in much of Britain.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm actually opposed to disestablishment. I think having a slightly wishy washy Anglican church as a part of the ruling class helps to prevent the kind of bugnuts religious free-for-all that's evident in the States.

I'm opposed to an established church as a matter of principle, but I think it has proven perversely useful for facilitating a kind of common cultural secularism in much of Britain.

By free for all I assume you meant the large number of different kinds of Christian faiths. Well why not? That's par for the course in any society that claims to be a democracy.

If people want to worship the Great God Bing Bonga that's their right to do so and to heck with what particular church should be worshipped in or not worshipped in.

No country is as secular as the USA. The Episcopalian (Anglican church in America) is still going strong, even better than it's Angican brother in the UK which is splintering from some of it's churches in Africa due to differences in how this church should progress and adapt in a modern world.

Even as far back as I remember from my days in the UK most parish churches were mostly empty even on Sundays with just a few gray heads sitting in the pews. They got a much better attendance when they started to have Bingo Nights

What an utterly absurd idea.

Absurd? I think it's long overdue. Meanwhile, I think I am going to write a letter to a few local mosques asking what their arrangements are for muslims wanting a same-sex ceremony on their premises.

Churches and other religious places get tax-exempt status because they can claim to be charities and then they pull this discrimiatory rhetoric. They can't cut it both ways.

Archived