Places where you can still get a "job for life"??

Are you serious-what about re-elections?And I am not laughing,its lamentable.
Well the only way my MP is leaving their seat prior to their retirement is if they want to.

No one is going to beat them in an election, mine is a "safe" seat - i.e. my vote is worthless unless I cast it in favour of my MP.

So yes I'm serious, as long as my MP keeps their party happy they have a job for life with a nice pension pot at the end of it.

Well the only way my MP is leaving their seat prior to their retirement is if they want to.

No one is going to beat them in an election, mine is a "safe" seat - i.e. my vote is worthless unless I cast it in favour of my MP.

So yes I'm serious, as long as my MP keeps their party happy they have a job for life with a nice pension pot at the end of it.

All seats are being reorganised under boundary changes.Secondly the local party can choose to place an alternative candidate before the electorate.Thirdly an independent or similar with sympathetic policies could split the vote.Fourthly Martin Bell unseated Nicholas Hamilton in Tatton,a safe Tory seat,in 1997.

Do you need any more reasons?You do seem very resentful of the MP representing your area.

Join the military... you can in theory join up and work with them till retirement. Then there's the possibility of being KIA, which again does fit the remit of a job for life... just means that life expectancy might be shorter than the norm..

Join the army, travel the world, meet a diverse group of interesting people and shoot them.:roll:

All seats are being reorganised under boundary changes.Secondly the local party can choose to place an alternative candidate before the electorate.Thirdly an independent or similar with sympathetic policies could split the vote.Fourthly Martin Bell unseated Nicholas Hamilton in Tatton,a safe Tory seat,in 1997.

Do you need any more reasons?You do seem very resentful of the MP representing your area.

I'm not particularly resentful of my MP, it's just that while I live here my vote doesn't count for anything.

My MP represents the party first and the electorate second, they believe winning the election gives them a mandate to make decisions that affect me without having to consult me.

However this doesn't stop me writing to my MP about issues that concern me and it doesn't stop them working on my behalf as long as what I ask for doesn't contradict party doctrine or what the whip told them to do.

As for the constituency boundary reorganisation, that doesn't appear to change the voting blocks significantly in this constituency, roughly the same numbers of voters from each party are being added to the pot, so the seat still appears to be safe.

As long as my MP toes the line the local party aren't going to replace them.

And it would take a huge sea change in voting, literally all the other votes would have to be cast for just one of the other candidates to be in with a chance of unseating them.

Now beyond my belief that my MP has a job for life, this is all off topic, if you want to discuss the subject of safe seats may I suggest starting a new thread.

You may laugh but that's the only one I can think of

You aren't actually expected to produce anything as long as you make a speech now and then.

You don't make any major faux pas that puts the party into disrepute and even then unless someone actually dies most things can be handled.

You do what the party whip tells when they tell you regardless of what the people who voted for you think.

Then you you have a nice little career funded at a much higher rate than most jobs and with a guaranteed pension at the end.

I'd say it's the only job for life left, everything else if you don't produce results you are out on your ear.

You do actually have to get elected though.

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 14:55 ----------

They are pretty much non-existent now, unless you win a nobel prize.

Most accademics even profs are on short term funding.

From what I understand at Shef Uni once you've passed the probationary period as a lecturer they can't really get rid of you unless you actually do something that results in disciplinary action.

---------- Post added 21-12-2012 at 14:57 ----------

Join the military... you can in theory join up and work with them till retirement. Then there's the possibility of being KIA, which again does fit the remit of a job for life... just means that life expectancy might be shorter than the norm..

They've just made huge rounds of redundancies, including people who were serving on the front line.

Archived