Places where you can still get a "job for life"??

If there are to be more unemployed then surely we need more staff in job centres?

I am not picking on them, I am pointing out their employment is quite safe, due to the sheer amount of unemployment and structural unemployment.

I wasn't even aware some were to be made redundant. That is really harsh times for them, they will still have to attend work!

Very funny LOL:hihi::hihi:

I'm not particularly resentful of my MP, it's just that while I live here my vote doesn't count for anything.

My MP represents the party first and the electorate second, they believe winning the election gives them a mandate to make decisions that affect me without having to consult me.

However this doesn't stop me writing to my MP about issues that concern me and it doesn't stop them working on my behalf as long as what I ask for doesn't contradict party doctrine or what the whip told them to do.

As for the constituency boundary reorganisation, that doesn't appear to change the voting blocks significantly in this constituency, roughly the same numbers of voters from each party are being added to the pot, so the seat still appears to be safe.

As long as my MP toes the line the local party aren't going to replace them.

And it would take a huge sea change in voting, literally all the other votes would have to be cast for just one of the other candidates to be in with a chance of unseating them.

Now beyond my belief that my MP has a job for life, this is all off topic, if you want to discuss the subject of safe seats may I suggest starting a new thread.

If its such safe job and you fancy it why not apply?Most MPs would face some competition,so your remark may only apply to a small number of MPs!You did not comment on Martin Bell and failure to be re-adopted so presumably this exceeded your expertise.I have no intention of starting a new thread but perhaps you could invite comments and we will see what others feel about your suggestions.

If its such safe job and you fancy it why not apply?Most MPs would face some competition,so your remark may only apply to a small number of MPs!You did not comment on Martin Bell and failure to be re-adopted so presumably this exceeded your expertise.I have no intention of starting a new thread but perhaps you could invite comments and we will see what others feel about your suggestions.

I agree with esme on this and applying for the job would be as pointless as voting because the seat is safe and the party candidate is there until either they choose to leave or their party decides to change the candidate.

I agree with esme on this and applying for the job would be as pointless as voting because the seat is safe and the party candidate is there until either they choose to leave or their party decides to change the candidate.

The last part about "deciding to change the candidate" undermines your point and broadsides poor Esme whom you sought ,so gallantly ,to protect.Its like saying a football manager is in post until sacked.

The last part about "deciding to change the candidate" undermines your point and broadsides poor Esme whom you sought ,so gallantly ,to protect.Its like saying a football manager is in post until sacked.

The football manager is in their post until they upset the club or decide to leave just like the party candidate in a safe seat.

So yes I'm serious, as long as my MP keeps their party happy they have a job for life with a nice pension pot at the end of it.

Yup it did exceed my expertise, I have no opinion on or have had any dealings with Martin Bell, so I'm not going to make any comment on them.

I have had dealings with other MP's as I've not always lived in this constituency, and yes I've made their lives a misery by writing to them too.

This is the first time I've lived in a safe seat though and the effect this has on my vote is a little disheartening.

I didn't say every MP had a job for life just that that is the only career which offers the possibility and that my MP seems to have been one of the lucky ones in this respect, as while more than half of the local electorate want someone else in office, they can't agree on a single candidate.

It's not a job that appeals to me personally, so I'm not going to apply.

The topic of the thread is places where you can get a job for life, not what I personally consider to be the particular failings of the political system we elect our MP's from so I was trying to steer the topic back towards that.

But if anyone wishes to comment on my personal beliefs feel free, I don't mind.

I think that covers all your points, but if I've missed anything please point it out and I'll have a go at answering.

Yup it did exceed my expertise, I have no opinion on or have had any dealings with Martin Bell, so I'm not going to make any comment on them.

I have had dealings with other MP's as I've not always lived in this constituency, and yes I've made their lives a misery by writing to them too.

This is the first time I've lived in a safe seat though and the effect this has on my vote is a little disheartening.

I didn't say every MP had a job for life just that that is the only career which offers the possibility and that my MP seems to have been one of the lucky ones in this respect, as while more than half of the local electorate want someone else in office, they can't agree on a single candidate.

It's not a job that appeals to me personally, so I'm not going to apply.

The topic of the thread is places where you can get a job for life, not what I personally consider to be the particular failings of the political system we elect our MP's from so I was trying to steer the topic back towards that.

But if anyone wishes to comment on my personal beliefs feel free, I don't mind.

I think that covers all your points, but if I've missed anything please point it out and I'll have a go at answering.

I certainly do not think it is the only career which offers a job for life,and teaching,nursing and the clergy all can sleep more snugly at night.Well done for attempting to lobby your MP and I hope they replied as a matter of utmost courtesy.

Ooo the clergy, you know I'd completely forgotten them, thanks for the reminder.

Please add the clergy to my list, not so sure about teaching and nursing though, headmasters maybe

And yes my MP's have always replied, not always in the way I would like, but that's life.

Archived