Looking for Advice on my rights on leaving work

Ok so this is my situation; I have been offered a higher paid job which is closer to my home, with more hours, which, quite frankly is easier. The catch is it is an immediate start.

The money I am owed for my previous job is probably about £15 or less because I was only doing 2 3 hour shifts a week!

You can probably tell im not bothered whether im paid what im owed anyway, I havent had any holidays or bonuses but have been sent away for 3 days training last month.

I was threated with having 'money clawed back' for the training and allsorts so was just wondering where I stand.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 19:02 ----------

also bad references dont bother me with this one as I know they are only allowed to issue what dates i started and finished.

Ok so this is my situation; I have been offered a higher paid job which is closer to my home, with more hours, which, quite frankly is easier. The catch is it is an immediate start.

The money I am owed for my previous job is probably about £15 or less because I was only doing 2 3 hour shifts a week!

You can probably tell im not bothered whether im paid what im owed anyway, I havent had any holidays or bonuses but have been sent away for 3 days training last month.

I was threated with having 'money clawed back' for the training and allsorts so was just wondering where I stand.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 19:02 ----------

also bad references dont bother me with this one as I know they are only allowed to issue what dates i started and finished.

well as others have said you are technically in the wrong for not honoring your notice period, but its unlikely they would really take it any further than not paying you the £15. So there isn't really a problem is there?

Morally, you owe them sweet Felicity Adams. They use you to make them money. That's it. They aren't "wonderful philanthropists creating a wonderful happy land of work" out of the goodness of their hearts.

Look at it this way - if you'd asked for a pay rise suddenly there'd have been "plenty of people willing to do your job and be thankful of it". So let them use one of them then.

That isn't true, they are quite free to put in the reference that you left without notice and in breach of contract, or just refuse a reference.

---------- Post added 20-12-2012 at 20:56 ----------

Morally, you owe them sweet Felicity Adams. They use you to make them money. That's it. They aren't "wonderful philanthropists creating a wonderful happy land of work" out of the goodness of their hearts.

Both sides use the other, in a contracted exchange of labour for money, which includes a notice period in both directions.

Morally you should work your notice period. Sometimes self interest might trump that moral argument, but don't pretend that it's right to quit with no notice.

Look at it this way - if you'd asked for a pay rise suddenly there'd have been "plenty of people willing to do your job and be thankful of it". So let them use one of them then.

They still couldn't have just terminated him without notice for that.

Difference being, one is forced into the situation through necessity, it's very much a one way exchange in that way.

I don't even know where to begin to address this.

But if it's an attempt to justify the assertion that it's not morally wrong to breach your contract and walk away then it stinks of moral relativism. Ie it's an excuse to justify doing what is in your best interests rather than what you know is right.

So, you either tell your new job you have to work your notice..

Or you don't work the notice and agree to pay whatever it is that you owe to your previous employer.

Is it that hard? People seem to try and screw everything all the time.

What happened to standing by your word, honour and contract. Man up - pay if they ask you too...I assume that you could have managed it better with them and given them advance notice that you were looking for another role elsewhere?

Archived