Who gave teachers the right to tell children that Santa doesn't exist?

It's in a colloquial style, but I thought you'd probably understand.

To rephrase, I think you've got an attitude problem regarding teachers.

I suppose you consider yourself to be a 'normal' adult and presumably don't interact with teachers very much. They're probably quite happy about that, or would be if they knew what they were avoiding.

Perhaps you could explain though why you don't think teachers interact with 'normal' adults like yourself very much. Obviously they only interact with other teachers, children, parents and support staff during their working day, but do you imagine that they then go home and stay indoors for fear of having to talk to someone like you?

I certainly don’t want a load of people who have rarely interacted with normal adults and hardly ever had a life out of education institutions talking to my children about Santa or anything else outwith the scope of what they are employed to do.

Wow, what a retarded thing to say. Oh wait, I forgot which forum I was on.

I’ve interacted .with plenty of teachers.

My mother was a school bursar.

My father worked as technician in a school (briefly, the children were fine, but he couldn’t stand the teachers.)

Being subjected to consistently appalling teaching in a school that was supposed to be one of the best grammar schools in the region.

My Ex-wife is a teacher.

My wife was a teacher.( She quit because she couldn’t stand the pettiness in the staffroom etc.)

My in-laws are teachers.

Several friends and colleagues have partners who are teachers.

I have also experienced 15 years of listening to the utter rubbish that my son's teachers have spouted every time I have met them.

I have, almost without exception, to find them a bunch of molly-coddled, under-skilled, whining inadequates who falsely consider themselves to be over-worked and underpaid (and seldom stop moaning about it) whilst having; at best; a tenuous idea of what life is like in business or industry.

I’ve interacted .with plenty of teachers.

So they do interact with 'normal' adults, unless you're not normal.

My mother was a school bursar.

My father worked as technician in a school (briefly, the children were fine, but he couldn’t stand the teachers.)

Being subjected to consistently appalling teaching in a school that was supposed to be one of the best grammar schools in the region.

My Ex-wife is a teacher.

My wife was a teacher.( She quit because she couldn’t stand the pettiness in the staffroom etc.)

Did she not interact with normal adults then?

My in-laws are teachers.

Several friends and colleagues have partners who are teachers.

I have also experienced 15 years of listening to the utter rubbish that my son's teachers have spouted every time I have met them.

I have, almost without exception, to find them a bunch of molly-coddled, under-skilled, whining inadequates who falsely consider themselves to be over-worked and underpaid (and seldom stop moaning about it) whilst having; at best; a tenuous idea of what life is like in business or industry.

Almost without exception... Yet you married two of them!

I'm confused as to whether you accept that they do interact with lots of normal adults, or whether you consider yourself not to be normal...

So they do interact with 'normal' adults, unless you're not normal.

With the majority of the ones I interact with, I do so out of necessity, not choice.

Did she not interact with normal adults then?

What part of "She quit" don't you understand?

Almost without exception... Yet you married two of them!.

No. I married (and divorced) one. I also married an ex-teacher.

I'm confused as to whether you accept that they do interact with lots of normal adults, or whether you consider yourself not to be normal...

Don't be so fatuous.

Teachers should concentrate their efforts upon teaching the subjects they are employed to teach and nothing else.

Maybe then some of our universities wouldn’t need to run remedial English classes for new students.

I certainly don’t want a load of people who have rarely interacted with normal adults and hardly ever had a life out of education institutions talking to my children about Santa or anything else outwith the scope of what they are employed to do.

I think if 9-10 year old children have still to work out that there is no Father Christmas then their teachers have failed drastically to teach them any critical thinking skills.

jb

Who gave teachers the right to tell kids in year 5 that there is no such thing as santa. My friends little one is so upset as are most of the other children in his class :loopy::loopy::loopy:

We all not only have the right, but also the duty to tell kids the truth and not fill their head with nonsense. That includes god, santa, fairies (e.g. the tooth fairy). I don't care how innocent it is, there is a principle involved.

The kids wouldn't have been upset if we as adults didn't perpetuate this BS in the first place. We only do it because we think it's "cute" and "magical" anyway. We project our own desire of how kids should be (don't grow up too fast!) upon them. Maybe it's time we stopped infantalising them.

We all not only have the right, but also the duty to tell kids the truth and not fill their head with nonsense. That includes god, santa, fairies (e.g. the tooth fairy). I don't care how innocent it is, there is a principle involved.

The kids wouldn't have been upset if we as adults didn't perpetuate this BS in the first place. We only do it because we think it's "cute" and "magical" anyway. We project our own desire of how kids should be (don't grow up too fast!) upon them. Maybe it's time we stopped infantalising them.

Utter nonsense. Let the children enjoy their childhood, there will be time enough for the cynicism once they have grown up.

I do agree with you about not indoctrinating them with religion (of any kind) though.

Archived