Who gave teachers the right to tell children that Santa doesn't exist?

I wonder how many would agree if the teacher informed the kid that horrible bad things don't exist under the bed or in the wardrobe.

How we mess with the minds of children. I'm getting my 5yr old a boob tube by playboy..someday I shall tell her the truth.:hihi:

I think that's probably the right age for kids to find out, if they don't already know, 4,5,6..fine, I guess it makes Christmas special for them, but 10 year olds believing in Santa I find a little odd I think, and I wonder why a parent would want to...actively carry on something that's meant really to enchant small children?

By the age of 9-10 most kids have grown out of Father Christmas. Either that or many of their friends have. If the parents had strong views that their child must hang on to a belief in some wierd mythical man who despite his girth manages to sqeeze down millions of chimneys in one night every year then they should have made the teachers aware of this.

Many people believe in weird mythical people. It's not your place, or any teachers place to tell other peoples' children that Santa doesn't exist.

Children will find out he's not real in their own time.

I know as a kid I felt quite guilty about not believing in Santa and 'played along' to try and make the adults happy. I had the same feeling about religion as a kid too. I was brought up to 'believe' but at about the same age (must have been about 6/7 as we moved from the area that I went to Sunday school) I remember questioning the Sunday school leaders who would not explain how things could possibly exist and used to get quite annoyed with my constant questions.

So I do think lies are kind of confusing for children. I knew I was being lied to, but had empathy that I did not want to upset the adults around me, so 'played along' . It does make me wonder how many other children end up feeling like that.

"I remember questioning the Sunday school leaders who would not explain how things could possibly exist and used to get quite annoyed with my constant questions."

It's a great shame that poor teaching exists right across the board,even in Sunday schools,and I have had to work many questions out regarding spiritual issues for myself.(ex choirboy,sunday school attender).

If you wish to PM me with any questions that may give rise to doubts on the subject,I may be able to help,but only from an imperfect stance!

By the age of 9-10 most kids have grown out of Father Christmas. Either that or many of their friends have. If the parents had strong views that their child must hang on to a belief in some wierd mythical man who despite his girth manages to sqeeze down millions of chimneys in one night every year then they should have made the teachers aware of this.

Perhaps the child was younger than 9 or 10? Most 5/6 year olds at school believe in santa and at that ago no teacher should be saying there is no such thing as santa. Its part of most young childrens lives to be brought up believing in the magic of christmas, tooth fairy, easter bunny etc.... The innocence of youth is so short it should be encouraged, kids grow up far too quick nowadays, its up to the parent at what stages in a childs life the magic ends, immagination is a big part of play and growth of a child. which your right, normally by 9/10 children dont believe anymore. It is NOT up to a teach to discourage such things if they are within such a reasonble age range of childhood!

Perhaps the child was younger than 9 or 10? Most 5/6 year olds at school believe in santa and at that ago no teacher should be saying there is no such thing as santa. Its part of most young childrens lives to be brought up believing in the magic of christmas, tooth fairy, easter bunny etc.... The innocence of youth is so short it should be encouraged, kids grow up far too quick nowadays, its up to the parent at what stages in a childs life the magic ends, immagination is a big part of play and growth of a child. which your right, normally by 9/10 children dont believe anymore. It is NOT up to a teach to discourage such things if they are within such a reasonble age range of childhood!

According to the OP, the child is in year 5. This puts the child's age at at least 9.

I completely agree with you about how fast kids grow up but I certainly do not think the teacher has done anything wrong here (if this did actually happen). The teacher may have made an asumption about the pupils or may even have done some discreet research into what the pupils believed in before approaching this. I actually think that as a reflective exercise, the topic is quite a good one.

Archived