Wardsend cemetery

I have mentioned on another thread going down into Wardsend Cemetery from Shirecliffe School about 1945/48- we kids found it fascinating although I didn't know why at the time. There must have been newish graves there because we moved a few flowers on to old graves sometimes probably baby graves. I often have dreams of being there. Quite happy dreams with no scary feelings.

Such a shame that it is so neglected, although I think it was never very well looked after even back then.

Across the black ashes, and over the White bridge, down the path with the high iron railings, and then you came across this scene,

http://www.picturesheffield.com/cgi-bin/picturesheffield.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.refno=s07562

How times have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

We used to play up there as kids in the 60's.

I remember crossing the white bridge and going up the grass hill beyond.....and sliding back down on old cardbox boxes.

My Dad's Grandma is burried in the cemetary. I remember spending hours looking for the grave with mi dad, but we never found it.

My great grandad and great grandma are both buried in Wardsend, died in the 1940's (plot number in the new part 1053) went looking for it last year but its so overgrown and uneven underfoot had no chance, went again in Feb of this year when all growth had died down, still didn't find it but got a rough idea where it is now, shall be returning again soon to try and locate exact spot.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived