Dog owners beware in Handsworth

Hammonddawn

Just to make you aware, on Friday morning my beautiful Beagle was attacked by two German Shepherds, completely unprovoked whilst on his lead. These dogs were not on leads and upon seeing "Alfie" they went straight for him and wouldn't leave him alone. My brother in law, who was walking him at the time, tried to fight off the dogs but they wouldn't let go of Alfie. Their owner didn't do much to try and help either. Alfie managed to struggle out of his collar and ran away, unfortunately towards Handworth Top dual carriageway and was hit by a car.

Please, please be careful when walking your precious pets as I would hate for this to happen to yours. We have very, very sadly had to have Alfie put to sleep as he was paralysed, he wasn't even 2 years old! If it had not been for these dogs attacking him, he would never have run off and been hit. This happened early Friday morning on Finchwell Road.

Please be very careful.

I'm very sorry for your loss. That dog owner should be ashamed and get his/her dogs under control!!

Thank you all for your lovely comments. Alfie was a wonderful pet and it is really true about a dog being a best friend because he truly was. I wanted to update you to let you know that the attack has been reported to the police. They were unsure if they could do anything because it was a "dog on dog" attack and not a person but I spoke to them yesterday to update them on Alfie and they are going to try and prosecute the owner of the dogs. Although this won't bring Alfie back, it will make me feel better knowing that he pays for what he and his dogs did to my poor beautiful little dog. The only thing that worries me is that these dogs will be put down and he will then just go and get some more and bring them up exactly the same way as he did those. I completely agree with all of you that it is the owner's fault but it will be the dogs that pay the price. I know not all German Shepherds are not like this as my aunt and uncle had one and I have colleagues that have 2 or 3 of them and they are lovely and wouldn't hurt anything. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owner. They should at the very least had a muzzle on, as well as their leads then this horrid event would never have happened.

Thank you all again for your wonderful comments.

Apparently there was an incident which occurred last year with a German shepherd attacking another dog on the same road. I am unsure of the actual details but wonder, could this be one of the same dogs? If anyone knows anything about this incident, maybe we could try and find out. We are going to need to gather evidence to show these dogs are dangerous and the owner obviously doesn't care! If anyone knows of this, as I believe it was in the paper, then I would be grateful if you could please let me know.

Many thanks again.

This story genuinely upset me a little. Poor dog. :mad:

I will always remember been about 2 - 4 years old walking along one of the trails near Handsworth and I was walking a little ahead of my dad. Three massive dogs came running up to me barking and had surrounded me. My dad sprinted up booted them in the face a few times and they ran off. Their owner was over 100 meters away and didnt give a **** what was happening. My dad had a few erm shall we say words? with him and let him know what would have happened if one of his dogs bit me.

Edited by ryder8904

Thank you all for your lovely comments. Alfie was a wonderful pet and it is really true about a dog being a best friend because he truly was. I wanted to update you to let you know that the attack has been reported to the police. They were unsure if they could do anything because it was a "dog on dog" attack and not a person but I spoke to them yesterday to update them on Alfie and they are going to try and prosecute the owner of the dogs. Although this won't bring Alfie back, it will make me feel better knowing that he pays for what he and his dogs did to my poor beautiful little dog. The only thing that worries me is that these dogs will be put down and he will then just go and get some more and bring them up exactly the same way as he did those. I completely agree with all of you that it is the owner's fault but it will be the dogs that pay the price. I know not all German Shepherds are not like this as my aunt and uncle had one and I have colleagues that have 2 or 3 of them and they are lovely and wouldn't hurt anything. I don't blame the dogs, I blame the owner. They should at the very least had a muzzle on, as well as their leads then this horrid event would never have happened.

Thank you all again for your wonderful comments.

Apparently there was an incident which occurred last year with a German shepherd attacking another dog on the same road. I am unsure of the actual details but wonder, could this be one of the same dogs? If anyone knows anything about this incident, maybe we could try and find out. We are going to need to gather evidence to show these dogs are dangerous and the owner obviously doesn't care! If anyone knows of this, as I believe it was in the paper, then I would be grateful if you could please let me know.

Many thanks again.

I am really pleased to hear that the police are going to try and prosecute this idiot, like you say it won't bring back poor little alfie, but at least it may give you some closure.

I will always remember been about 2 - 4 years old walking along one of the trails near Handsworth and I was walking a little ahead of my dad. Three massive dogs came running up to me barking and had surrounded me. My dad sprinted up booted them in the face a few times and they ran off. Their owner was over 100 meters away and didnt give a **** what was happening. My dad had a few erm shall we say words? with him and let him know what would have happened if one of his dogs bit me.

I had a german shepard attack my staffy bitch while she was on the lead last year at woodhouse, little did the german sheppard know it had picked the wrong bitch as she latched onto its face and and made a mess of it and for me got what it deserved !

I am very sorry to hear about alfie and wish people would take responsability for there animals or don't have them simple !

I had a german shepard attack my staffy bitch while she was on the lead last year at woodhouse, little did the german sheppard know it had picked the wrong bitch as she latched onto its face and and made a mess of it and for me got what it deserved !

I am very sorry to hear about alfie and wish people would take responsability for there animals or don't have them simple !

Well done, better the other dog comes off worse and not yours.