Genuine question: Why does moderator input tend to kill a thread?

If you have a problem, take it to the Helpdesk. They will then ignore it and do stuff all.

My my...thats not nice...The helpdesk get through things as quick as they can...I'm not involved...it's not a vocation...it's a voluntary thing...

I know I don't post as often as I once did...but then I have other things like people posting their items for sale 5 times in a row...and stupid stuff like that!

My my...thats not nice...The helpdesk get through things as quick as they can...I'm not involved...it's not a vocation...it's a voluntary thing...

I know I don't post as often as I once did...but then I have other things like people posting their items for sale 5 times in a row...and stupid stuff like that!

... so it's no fun sitting on the other side of the fence then? :(

As you know, I've recently been made a moderator....So why does it have an adverse affect upon threads that I ge involved in?...They seem to die...:huh::huh::huh:

TBH I've not really noticed a trend like that Pete but what I do find interesting is, when a thread is closed by a moderator do you have carte blanche to do so.

Or, do you all have a quick conflab and have to ask permission to close.

As you know, I've recently been made a moderator....So why does it have an adverse affect upon threads that I ge involved in?...They seem to die...:huh::huh::huh:

Since SF as a policy of not arguing about moderating decisions with the moderators it would make more sense if said moderators were anonymous.

We don’t really need to know who as the power to moderate and for the most part we don’t know which mod as deleted a post or thread anyway.

TBH I've not really noticed a trend like that Pete but what I do find interesting is, when a thread is closed by a moderator do you have carte blanche to do so.

Or, do you all have a quick conflab and have to ask permission to close.

There was a great thread that covered some stuff like this quite recently (can't recall the title). It seems that the behind the scenes procedures are very well constructed and reinforced to ensure fairness.

There will be no joy for a power crazy mod on the rampage!

Sorry you have that impression Pete. I personally like to see a mod in a thread. I don't think they are generally inhibited in their points of view by their status and at least you have a good chance of decent behaviour!

There was a great thread that covered some stuff like this quite recently (can't recall the title). It seems that the behind the scenes procedures are very well constructed and reinforced to ensure fairness.

There will be no joy for a power crazy mod on the rampage!

Sorry you have that impression Pete. I personally like to see a mod in a thread. I don't think they are generally inhibited in their points of view by their status and at least you have a good chance of decent behaviour!

So do I, it shows they are human

I thinks it's because

1. moderators here operate with absolute power, with no scope whatsoever for users to have any dialogue/discussion of the decisions made by mods (e.g. thread locking/deletions).

There's a perception that discussions of mod decisions and board policies are not welcome- backed up by examples of many, many threads created to discuss such things which are immediately locked/deleted along with the knee-jerk advice to contact the 'help desk'.

Many people here have found the 'help desk' to be useless-

e.g.

If you have a problem, take it to the Helpdesk. They will then ignore it and do stuff all.

and have long since given up on it.

2. mods are generally perceived here as being prone to focus on locking/deleting threads that get heated, as opposed to addressing the minority of posters who are actually responsible for creating the trouble.

Certainly, having contributed to many threads on the issues of religion, or drugs; I've now ceased to do so as virtually every one gets locked/deleted because of the actions of a minority. And, I have discussed this on several occasions with mods via pm, or the 'help desk' and been far from satisfied with their replies. So, i simply don't get involved with such threads as, on sf, there is no point.

To be honest, if this thread had been started by anyone other than a mod, i wouldn't have posted on it, as, if a non-mod had started it, I know it would be locked/deleted immediatley.

Hopefully, given a mod has started this thread, maybe there is hope for it being of some use, and maybe a line of communication between mods and users can be established so board policies can be productively discussed.

Right...No fun sitting on the other side of the fence?...Not really how it is...I't s more busy doing 'mod' stuff.

Maybe not me...but some mods ...do not partake in discussions...purely and simply because when they do, it kills a thread!..Or they attract insults or abuse which will lead to the thread being pulled.

Me?...yes I can ban anyone...yes I can pull the thread...But I like to involve myself in the rough and tumble banter...But because I have the power to wield a big stick, does that put people off ?

Archived