Genuine question: Why does moderator input tend to kill a thread?

Right...No fun sitting on the other side of the fence?...Not really how it is...I't s more busy doing 'mod' stuff.

Maybe not me...but some mods ...do not partake in discussions...purely and simply because when they do, it kills a thread!..Or they attract insults or abuse which will lead to the thread being pulled.

Me?...yes I can ban anyone...yes I can pull the thread...But I like to involve myself in the rough and tumble banter...But because I have the power to wield a big stick, does that put people off ?

Pete, sarge isn't one of the lads. That's been the case since time immemorial.

Then what happens if you, the Mod, start posting in a way that has got others banned in the past?

Also ... are you of the opinion that once you have started to actively take part in a discussion that may have strong positions, it would be wrong of you to take any Modding actions with regard to that thread?

Then what happens as you, the Mod, start posting in a way that has got others banned in the past?

Also ... are you of the opinion that once you have started to actively take part in a discussion that may have strong positions, it would be wrong of you to take any Modding actions with regard to that thread?

As far as I know...I have never posted in a way that got anyone banned.

On the other point...Mods are forbidden to take 'modding' action...on threads that they are actively involved in!

Then what happens as you, the Mod, start posting in a way that has got others banned in the past?

It is indeed accepted that Moderators will not normally moderate threads that they contribute to.

As for the reasons why people back away from threads that mods post on, some do, others take an opportunity to hurl abuse. I got heartily sick of people accusing me of misusing my moderation powers, that seemed to happen mostly when people were losing the argument:)

Archived