More shootings in USA

mart

I'd rather not have a gun. From ronthenekreds link - '' research has shown that a gun kept in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household, or friend, than an intruder.(Arthur Kellermann and Donald Reay. "Protection or Peril? An Analysis of Firearm Related Deaths in the Home." The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 314, no. 24, June 1986, pp. 1557-60.) The use of a firearm to resist a violent assault actually increases the victim's risk of injury and death(FE Zimring, Firearms, violence, and public policy, Scientific American, vol. 265, 1991, p. 48).''

Or spend on a better door that can't be "smashed" down. I would have thought buying a gun from the perspective lizM made would mean the emphasis is on when the perp is in rather than preventing them from getting in in the first place.

Just as an aside. If you were currently living in Boston with an islamist terrorist on the loose and you were now inside your house trying to protect your family from the guy trying to smash down your door...

Would you prefer to have a gun or not?

It's pretty poor logic really, overly emotive and reductionist. You could make the same point by saying if somebody was about to kill you would you rather have a gun or not? It doesn't need to be linked to Boston. Nor does it take into account the likelyhood of that actually happening or the societal damage caused by an excessive proliferation of firemarms. Or the fact that it might get you killed rather than save your life.

What I would prefer is to live in a society with no firearms, however, as that is currently unrealistic the next best position is a society in which they are tightly controlled and regulated and in the hands of well trained law enforcement agents who are within the shortest possible response time.

The US no longer requires an armed militia that can be summoned quickly. The second ammendment has been twisted way beyond the intention of the forefathers and is now little more than a line drawn in the political sand.

I imagine there are many sane and reasonable voices in the US who know that a bitter pill is essential and that tighter regulation and, ultimately restriction and reduction have to happen. It just doesn't appear to be their time quite yet.

Or spend on a better door that can't be "smashed" down. I would have thought buying a gun from the perspective lizM made would mean the emphasis is on when the perp is in rather than preventing them from getting in in the first place.

Our windows usually are made of glass over here. It might be different in Sheffield

Our windows usually are made of glass over here. It might be different in Sheffield

We tend not to have rabid nutters running around with guns..being the case I would invest in bars.. so yes, Sheff is different.

You having experience of South Africa I thought this would be obvious to you.

And as Mike pointed out..."It's pretty poor logic really, overly emotive and reductionist".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived