I'm not as hard as I thought I was.

Maybe the bloke never saw the op and got a nasty shock when the op gestured angrily.

Got a nasty shock and then followed them down the street threatening to do violence. :roll:

I'm not saying the OP was some sort of angel, two people can't walk towards each other on a collision course without both choosing not to swerve, and gesturing angrily isn't likely to defuse the situation. What if it was a crack head and he had a knife up his sleeve, that angry gesture could be the last one you make.

Self defence isn't about winning fights, 90% of it is about not being in a fight, and part of that is not deliberately causing a confrontation when you don't need to.

Walking away was the smartest bit of behaviour the OP showed. Not swerving and making angry gestures were pretty stupid and might have placed in at a lot of risk.

Got a nasty shock and then followed them down the street threatening to do violence. :roll:

I'm not saying the OP was some sort of angel, two people can't walk towards each other on a collision course without both choosing not to swerve, and gesturing angrily isn't likely to defuse the situation. What if it was a crack head and he had a knife up his sleeve, that angry gesture could be the last one you make.

Self defence isn't about winning fights, 90% of it is about not being in a fight, and part of that is not deliberately causing a confrontation when you don't need to.

Walking away was the smartest bit of behaviour the OP showed. Not swerving and making angry gestures were pretty stupid and might have placed in at a lot of risk.

Like I said, Christmas is the best time of year to avoid such idiots.:)

On the contrary, it sounds like he did exactly the right thing. Fighting when you have other options is incredibly stupid.

think you missed the point, the OP was the one that gestured aggressively, and so encouraged said fight, but then walked away

as has been said you either back up your angry gesture and fight, or what the op shouldve done in the first place and ignored the idiot completely

think you missed the point, the OP was the one that gestured aggressively, and so encouraged said fight, but then walked away

as has been said you either back up your angry gesture and fight, or what the op shouldve done in the first place and ignored the idiot completely

100% right. Fight as a last resort or at least front the man up. If you get in someone's grill like that all aggressive, don't be surprised if they come back at you. The op bit off more than he could chew and bottled it essentially, you got to pick your fights carefully. That means ignoring crazy men on the street with nothing to lose!

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 23:33 ----------

Not everyone reacts the same to aggression, for all we know that bloke could've been mentally ill or he coulda just been ****** that a fella was up in his grill all of a sudden. If youre not supremely confident in your abilities to handle a volatile 1-1 situation, don't start s?it in the first place.

I'm baffled by viewing someone 'head down' not looking where they are going as being deliberate or a problem. Simply step aside.

I move out of the way for women, the elderly and children and don't think it undermines my masculinty.

As for behaving stupidly in public .............

No, I clearly didn't miss that point. I already said that the OP was wrong to make angry gestures. But continuing to make the situation worse after that as you two are suggesting would be downright stupid.

---------- Post added 25-12-2012 at 09:33 ----------

100% right. Fight as a last resort or at least front the man up. If you get in someone's grill like that all aggressive, don't be surprised if they come back at you. The op bit off more than he could chew and bottled it essentially, you got to pick your fights carefully. That means ignoring crazy men on the street with nothing to lose!

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 23:33 ----------

Not everyone reacts the same to aggression, for all we know that bloke could've been mentally ill or he coulda just been ****** that a fella was up in his grill all of a sudden. If youre not supremely confident in your abilities to handle a volatile 1-1 situation, don't start s?it in the first place.

It doesn't matter how confident you are, it just takes one crazy guy with a knife you didn't see.

I think TJC must be some sort of hard man villain type, using terms like 'front up' and 'in your grille'. He can be found most nights in the corner of your local Wetherspoons tapping his foot to dubstep and shaking his fist

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think TJC must be some sort of hard man villain type, using terms like 'front up' and 'in your grille'. He can be found most nights in the corner of your local Wetherspoons tapping his foot to dubstep and shaking his fist

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

lol at shaking fist

Archived