Free genealogy resources in Sheffield?

zerocool

So how far has everyone got with their research, and do any of us share common ancesters? - Unlikely, but it's possible.

The names I'm researching are (in order of significance) -

Atkin

Burn

Deakin

Dawson

Duffy

And these names crop up way back in the tree -

Smedley

Hutchinson

Meahan

Fisher

Bailey

Kendill / Kendall

The earliest I have pinned a relative down to is 1786. All my research has been on my mother's side (the Deakins/Burns) - I've hit an immediate brick wall on my father's side (the Atkins).

My mother's family were grocers, photographers (one of whom had a claim for the damage sustained to his photography shop due to the Sheffield Flood), combmakers and, almost inevitably at some point, cutlers. Oh, and publicans.:thumbsup:

the names i am researching at the moment are

sykes in shefield

nicholson in sheffield and doncaster

foster in sheffield, beighton

hunter in sheffiled

warrington in sheffield

goulder/goulding/goulden in sheffield

sorby in sheffield

wilson in sheffield mostly norton

dalton in sheffield mostly norton and in derbyshire

dunster in sheffield and lancashire

damms in sheffield and rotherham

marriott in sheffield and rotherham

mine have been in pit,cutlery trade and steel,farmers, some shoe and clogg makers one started of as a policeman but left to take up making cloggs.

one started of as a policeman but left to take up making cloggs.

If he was a policeman in Sheffield then you could possibly find his service records at Sheffield Archives and see why he left. It is a little complicated as you need to first get permission to view the records from South Yorkshire Police:-

Copied from A2A

[Access Conditions]

Police records may not be made available to research workers unless permission has been sought in each case.

This is done by sending a letter to

PR Officer

Press and PR Office

Police Headquarters

Snig Hill

Sheffield

S3 8LY

Tel: 0114 220 2020 ext 3848

Fax: 0114 252 3154

Hi.

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk

Sheffield & District Family History Society, with a message board for posting your queries. Also inline indexes to 1851 census and stray marriages at the cathedral.

http://libplugins.sheffield.gov.uk/bmd/home.aspx

Sheffield Register Office with the facility to search Births Marriages and Deaths registered in the Sheffield, Ecclesall Bierlow and Ecclesfield registration districts.

This is an ongoing project between the register office and Sheffield Family History Society so keep checking back.

Tuppie

Hi Ant,

I have Fishers in my family but some generations back. I have a lot of contact with other Fisher families from around Sheffield so you never know. The number of people I have found a distant contact with is quite high so never say never. My main names are

Lincoln,

Turner

Garrett

Riley,

Norburn

Norton.

Kitson

Fisher

Robinson,

Green

Grayson

Hi Ant,

I have Fishers in my family but some generations back. I have a lot of contact with other Fisher families from around Sheffield so you never know.

My Fishers look like this:

James FISHER..........Mary A. ?

...1809 -...........=......1808

(Master Tailor)....\

........................\

........................\

................Miriam FISHER........William Henry BURN

..................1847-1885......=..........1831 -

............................................(Photographer)

==================================================

I've just downloaded the Woodhouse section of the 1901 White's Trade Directory to browse through the businesses. This entry caught my eye:

Name: Turner, William

Occupation: Builder, joiner, plumber, painter, gasfitter, undertaker.

Talk about a jack of all trades.

If he was a policeman in Sheffield then you could possibly find his service records at Sheffield Archives and see why he left. It is a little complicated as you need to first get permission to view the records from South Yorkshire Police:-

Copied from A2A

[Access Conditions]

Police records may not be made available to research workers unless permission has been sought in each case.

This is done by sending a letter to

PR Officer

Press and PR Office

Police Headquarters

Snig Hill

Sheffield

S3 8LY

Tel: 0114 220 2020 ext 3848

Fax: 0114 252 3154

no he was a policeman in lancashire i can get his records if i pay but not got round to it yet, dont know if he got into making cloggs as his father in law was a shoe maker or his brother was a clogg maker and with what i have found one of his realtives and one of his wifes brother came to live in sheffield and putting two and two together think thats why he came to sheffield.

no he was a policeman in lancashire i can get his records if i pay but not got round to it yet, dont know if he got into making cloggs as his father in law was a shoe maker or his brother was a clogg maker and with what i have found one of his realtives and one of his wifes brother came to live in sheffield and putting two and two together think thats why he came to sheffield.

The Traditional Heritage museum on Ecclesall rd is an interesting place to visit, they have preserved old workshops and shops, and recreated them in the museum. One of them is a clog makers workshop with all the tools and workbenches etc in place to give you an idea of how they worked.

It has open days on the last Saturday of each month, and on bank holiday Mondays. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museumstudies/websites04/davison/

The Traditional Heritage museum on Ecclesall rd is an interesting place to visit, they have preserved old workshops and shops, and recreated them in the museum. One of them is a clog makers workshop with all the tools and workbenches etc in place to give you an idea of how they worked.

It has open days on the last Saturday of each month, and on bank holiday Mondays. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/museumstudies/websites04/davison/

My uncle helped build the replica shop - in fact he did most of the carpentry in that place.

Glad to see it get a mention.

Archived